Pinarello sizing

RS4Brit
RS4Brit Posts: 2
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Struggling on the right frame size for six foot, 200 pound, 33 inseam keen amateur, non-competetive male cyclist. I know they ride slightly larger than the frame size would seem to indicate.

Would really appreciate any seasoned advice.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Which model Pinarello? They do tend to be fractionally larger than other brands for the "same" size.

I am 184 cm, 80 kg (~175 lbs) and probably slightly longer inseam than you, and I ride a size 56 Paris FP carbon. This is set up with a 100 mm stem sitting on a 20 mm stack of spacers and saddle in the middle of the rails.

I'm not especially flexible, just average, and I would not want anything bigger than this frame. I could easily ride a 55, which might even be the better size for me in this frame in overall length, just may have a head tube a fraction short for me.

No idea how that relates to the current model sizing though, as the new frames are mostly semi-sloping geometry, whereas mine is "traditional".
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RS4Brit wrote:
    Struggling on the right frame size for six foot, 200 pound, 33 inseam keen amateur, non-competetive male cyclist. I know they ride slightly larger than the frame size would seem to indicate.

Many thanks.
    I Believe Pinarello quoted frame sizing is Centre to Centre not Centre to Top. So their sizing will appear smaller than for many equiv bikes from many other manufacturers.

Sizing chart is here:

http://www.pinarello.com/else/technical_data.pdf

So I fit a Specialized 54cm frame - but a 520 Pinarello FP1 for example.

Having said that, at the end of the day the only way to get the right size is to try one in the flesh, not from charts or recommendations. When it comes to sloping frames this is even more important.

Cheers

MD
    Can I upgrade???
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Pinarellos are sized by seat tube length not top tube so my 55 has a 55.7cm top tube. I'm 6 ft so a 55 or 56 would likely fit you, but best to get measured as others have said
  • APIII wrote:
    Pinarellos are sized by seat tube length not top tube so my 55 has a 55.7cm top tube.
    I agree - but their quoted frame sizes are seat tube, centre to centre (BB to centre of top tube - As per the chart I linked to - measurement 'H'), as opposed to Centre to Top (BB to top of seat tube- measurement CF). .
    Most (but not all) bikes are quoted as 'Centre to top' of the seat tube.

Thats why Pinarello quoted frame sizes 'appear' smaller compared to what they actually are.
    Can I upgrade???
  • RS4Brit wrote:

Many thanks.

Are you between sizes?
    In that case, if you're struggling to find the correct fit, why not go with another manufactuer? Pinarellos are racy frames, with relatively long top tubes for their size & short head tubes.

Pinarello drew me in too with their stylish frames, but I think I could have found a much better fitting frame to be perfectly honest... :oops:
  • RS4Brit wrote:

Many thanks.

Are you between sizes?
    In that case, if you're struggling to find the correct fit, why not go with another manufactuer? Pinarellos are racy frames, with relatively long top tubes for their size & short head tubes.

Pinarello drew me in too with their stylish frames, but I think I could have found a much better fitting frame to be perfectly honest... :oops:

Good advice.

Have a look at the Specialized Allez or Secteur range. They have a more relaxed layout and more suitable to those of us who aren't all out 'nose on the handlebars' speed freaks.
    The outgoing 2010 range are particularly good value at the moment.
    Can I upgrade???