Hub gear conversion.

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Would it be possible for me to fit a hub gear to my charge plug? No problems with the spacing or anything like that?
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The Plug has the adjustability, you need to match the width. This varies with different hubs. Most 8 speed have 135mm spacing. You may need a 3 speed to fit the narrower dropout spacing of the frame.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ The Plug has a steel frame so you can cold set the rear end to 135mm spacing.
    It's easy enough to DIY it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You'll also need a clamp-on cable stop/guide (depending on which hub you go for) on the chainstay but they're easy to find on ebay.

You could always sell the Plug and get a Charge Tap. It's a very similar machine but with Shimano 8-speed hub gear and double-butted tubing (rather than plain gauge on the Plug).
  • Onan
    ^ The Plug has a steel frame so you can cold set the rear end to 135mm spacing.
    It's easy enough to DIY it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You'll also need a clamp-on cable stop/guide (depending on which hub you go for) on the chainstay but they're easy to find on ebay.

You could always sell the Plug and get a Charge Tap. It's a very similar machine but with Shimano 8-speed hub gear and double-butted tubing (rather than plain gauge on the Plug).

I was thinking about that, but I like the blue and brown on the plug, and I'd like to keep the bullhorns. Also, I don't know which would cost me more, the conversion, or the difference between what I'd get for the plug, and what the tap would cost me.
  • Onan
    Sturmey archer do a 3-speed hub in 120mm, so that would fit.

Would there be a problem fitting a shifter on the bullhorns anyway? I think the bars are 25.4mm clamp diameter.

I get the feeling the cheaper option might be to sell the plug and buy a tap.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    You can get secondhand SA 3-speed hubs on ebay for about 15-20 quid. The cheapest ones are the old AW hubs which have steel casings and so weigh a little more than the modern ones, but it's not a big difference. They're bulletproof so age shouldn't dissuade you from buying one.

99% of problems with them come from the shifter. I've used hub gears for ages and my personal preference is for a band-on downtube friction shifter. I've not tried one with anything but 3-speed hubs, but I could see them working on a 4-speed if you can find one. Also, they're cheap on ebay and basically never go wrong unlike those stupid clicky thumb shifters that SA used to supply with them.
  • Onan
    I've decided to sell the plug. Probably my other bikes too, since they got left behind in the move down south.

I'll invest the revenue in a brand new Tap.

The thread is here if anyone wants to buy my bike.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12733051