Dangerous(?) Cycle Lane Lines on New Brighton Promenade

Beamo
Beamo Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi, I’ve been a long time reader but this is my first post…

My route to work goes along a promenade with a cycle lane consisting of two lines painted on the floor, about 6 feet apart. The lines have recently been re-painted (within the last 2 or 3 weeks) but whatever has been used to re-paint them is not the same stuff that the old lines were done with, it seems to have plenty of grip in the dry but when wet the lines are almost as slippery as ice.

I came off my bike last Tuesday in the wet because my front wheel lost grip as I was crossing one of the lines. I went down hard and although I didn't break any bones I landed on my right knee which has been extremely painful since and needless to say has kept me off my bike - and will probably do so for a few weeks more according to the doctor in the A&E.

I've been cycling to various places of work on and off for almost 20 years and have never experienced anything like this before, has anyone else? Have I just been lucky up to now...?

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    I think you've probably just been lucky in the past.

Freshly painted white lines are the devil's work in the wet. Over time they do tend to dull down and roughen up a bit, particularly where motor vehicles can pass over them.

If you have any concerns speak with the local authority responsible for them. IMHO most are quite sympathetic, and get very twitchy when you mention you've had an accident / injury.

It may well be that the contractors who carried out the work used the wrong specification of paint, but unlikely!

You may also find tyres are a contributory factor. My Specialized Armadillos used to be lethal in the wet, whereas my Schwalbe Marathon Plus seem more predictable.

HTH - Rufus.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm familiar with the stretch you're talking about but haven't been there since they painted. I'll check it out, thanks for the headsup.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depending on the paint used, whitelines can be smooth on top and lethal in the wet or have a rough surface and be OK, the latter costs more, sounds like the council has been penny pinching, a few complaints and threats of litigation may get them to correct it.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry to hear your tale. I have fallen off 3 times in 10 years. All due to slipping in wet/damp conditions: drain cover, cobbles and, most recently, white lines.

Two months ago I did the same as you, crossed cycle lane marking, front wheel slipped, right knee hit ground, tumbled into road. Not nice.

I suffered deep cut on knee and grazes. The main problem was brusing between knee-cap and bones behind knee-cap. I could cycle after 3 weeks but not run for 2 months. I had physio and deep tissue massage treatments which helped the joint move freely and minimise the aggravation caused by the bruising. The bruising just has to be left to heal - if you were a pro athlete then steriod/painkilling injections would be an option.

The line that led to my accident was painted twice. Both coats of paint were quite thick and the second coat had run down the side of the first coat making a nice slope. So the line was a factor but so was speed (25mph), bike (road), tyre (23x700 conti gatorskin), conditions (damp road), me (I decided to ride across line).

I did email the local council and the line has since been removed and repainted with a lower profile and more abbrasion.

I have also switched to a heavy, slow, fat tyred bike and am more cautious in the wet. I pride myself on riding safely and have successfully avoided other road users, but I feel I needed to do more to keep myself upright.

My advice to you - tell the council (point out the double painting issue), consider physio/massage, and think about what you do and if there is anythign you want to do to make yourself safer. And of course, get back on your bike ASAP and enjoy.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've just did a quick 25 mile jaunt around the Wirral, including the route you talk of. Those white lines go all the way to Seacombe ferry terminal, I doubt there's any chance the council will repaint all that lot! It looks like they removed the old white lines by burning, you can see scorch marks here and there. That's a good thing, it's even worse when you pile more thick paint on the old as it starts to create a hump with a massive camber each side - even more lethal in the wet!
  • Thanks for the responses, I seem to have developed an unhealthy interest in street lines since last week and i've noticed quite a few newly ones elsewhere (bus stops, double yellows etc...) and none of them have been painted the same as the ones that made me fall.

The old lines do seem to have been burnt off as dodgy pointed out but in quite a few places the new lines are very thickly painted on and they have a huge camber on each side, I think a combination of these cambers and the slippery surface made me come off.