Tour ride Stoke

graememacd
graememacd Posts: 386
Anyone doing this on sunday?? Its my first 100 miler so not sure what to expect and not sure how much i'm looking forward to it either!
The most I've ridden in one go is 67 miles but i've done a couple of 60 mile sportives in the last couple of months so i'm hoping i'll be ok. I imagine its going to hurt no matter what!

Comments

• Yeah, I'm doing it. My first sportive although have managed 95 miles in training. Some tough hills in this, even the non-categorised ones. Looking forward to riding in a group though.
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    Yes doing it again this year. Route has 10 or so more miles into the Peak district compared with last year.
    What to expect?............Good organisation/feed stops/route etc.
    Weather could be a factor……can be a bit bleak around the Peak District especially in the wind & rain..
    All in all a good day out.
    Longest training ride I did last year was 63ish miles & finished last year ok. So you should be ok. Just don’t go blasting off at the start…………….
    Enjoy
  • Mozza1 wrote:
    Yes doing it again this year. Route has 10 or so more miles into the Peak district compared with last year.
    What to expect?............Good organisation/feed stops/route etc.
    Weather could be a factor……can be a bit bleak around the Peak District especially in the wind & rain..
    All in all a good day out.
    Longest training ride I did last year was 63ish miles & finished last year ok. So you should be ok. Just don’t go blasting off at the start…………….
    Enjoy

Cheers Mozza, thats encouraging! I doubt i'll be overdoing it at the start, more of a gentle spin!
  • I did the challenge ride last year and it was brilliant, but have decided to do the pro ride this year and am actually looking forward to it as well as being abit nervous

Im just gonna take it easy and hopefully get round in a decent amount of time

The organisation and feed stops are brilliant
  • Have you had your number etc. through yet?
  • I did this last year and am looking forward to doing it again. Although getting married in the summer means I've done a lot less training this year so I'll have to deal with the fact it will be tougher and take me longer but I'm sure it will still be an enjoyable ride.

Derbygrimpeur - my number etc. arrived on Saturday.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Hi I am doing this - but as the family are on the short ride - I can only escape for the challenge ride.

Can anyone advise landmarks to turn off for the short course - the Mrs won't be impressed - if I am gone for 6 hours....

Weatherforecast looks dry for sunday !

Does anyone know If I still get a timing chip if I sign up on the day ?
  • I got my timing chip and rider number the other day, but no map (dont know if we get one this year)

kingrollo - Im not sure you can sign up on the day. Im not 100% sure though
  • kingrollo - I think you can sign up on the day, but as WW23 thinks not, it's probably advisable to check. Don't worry about landmarks, the route is signposted. Red is the pro ride (100 miles) so just don't follow that one and you'll be fine :wink:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo - I think you can sign up on the day, but as WW23 thinks not, it's probably advisable to check. Don't worry about landmarks, the route is signposted. Red is the pro ride (100 miles) so just don't follow that one and you'll be fine :wink:
    I have checked and yes you can sign up on the day - don't know if I get a timing chip - or if I have to pay more than £30
  • Its kool that you can sign up on the day as I thought signup closed a few days before.

Just send an email to them asking about the timing chip as they'll get back to you within a day

cycling@prostate-cancer.org.uk
  • kingrollo
    Its all good !

I get a timing chip - and there is no surcharge for signing up on the day.

Just gotta keep the Mrs sweet for 4 more days !

How does the timing chip work ? - if I pull over anywhere en route does the timing stop ? - or only the feed areas - am I limited to how long I can stop in a feed area?
  • Last year the timing started when you crossed the start line and finished when you crossed the finish line (which were both the same line but you get what I mean)

This year I think there are timing splits but I dont know how they work or even what they do.

As far as I know it times you from when you leave until you finish and this year they are timing KOM climbs which should be fun to see how long it takes me to get to the summit of the climbs

You are also not limited to how long you stay in the feed stations but obviously the longer you stay the longer it takes to complete the ride
  • Haven't received my number/pack yet (called yesterday and they're re-sending), so can anyone suggest what protocal is for Sunday morning, specifically..

How far from the car park to the start?
    Are you allocated a start time or is it just a case of showing up whenever?
  • kingrollo
    if you look on the web site - there are hour long slots for each ride to start. However these seem to go out the window on the day !
  • Car park from the start is probably about 5-10 minutes ride depending on how easy/slow you go as I believe Britannia Stadium is the parking location again

As for start times, Pro ride leaves at 8-9.30 Challenge ride leaves at 9-10 and family 10-11

As kingrollo said, this all goes out the window and people turn up and leave whenever they are ready after 9. I suggest getting there early-ish as the earlier you go out the earlier you are back and can get a nice warm meal :)

Have a look at the manual http://tourride.co.uk/pdf/TR_MANUAL_2010_ST_V4_2.pdf
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I'm doing the pro ride on Sunday which will be my first 100 miler. Built the training up to a couple of 80 milers including a recce of Hollinsclough Moor and Gun Hill on the day the Tour did the stage. Weather's looking ok (at the moment!), forecast is fine with a 10mph northerly wind; I'm hoping it won't be too windy as I found the descent between Hollinsclough and Gun Hill very hairy in the strong winds a couple of weeks ago!

Received an email today with info re signing on / parking:

All ride packs have been sent out containing timing chips and numbers but don’t panic if you have not received a pack, just come and see us in Longton Park on Saturday (2.00 pm – 8.00 pm) or Sunday (from 7.00am) and we will re assign you a number. If you have your ride pack then you don’t need to sign on, just turn up and ride!

Parking at Longton Park: A local farmer has kindly granted use of his field adjacent to Longton Park for use as the main car park for the Tour Ride. This field has a single entrance so please be patient whilst we allocate cars to spaces on the site – we advise you arrive in plenty of time. The location of the car park is here: http://www.multimap.com/s/gBX9U43T - which is on Cocknage Road, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 4AW. Directional signs will be placed from the A34 and A50 to this location.
  • alex1
    alex1 Posts: 25
    this is my fourth and final 100 miler ! four in four weekends in a row! my legs are surpising ok!!! coming up from north devon, i cant even drive up being only 16!!!
  • This shortish hill just after Dilhorn is my least favourite - about 1 in 4 at one point and I think worse than Gun Hill in some ways - especially given where it is in the tour ride. It comes at about 80 miles. Up on the moors it will feel freezing in the North wind so full gloves and balaclava for me. Mixture of anticipation and trepidation for me. Just need to remember not too go too fast up to Ellastone and eat regularly. Good luck everyone. John no 0445.Red Focus Cayo.
  • Well not long now and its feeling pretty cold so I think Ill be keeping my cold weather gear on for most of it.

Im pretty excited about it, slight bit nervous but should be a fun day

See you all there

Carl no.0123 blue/black/white Giant Defy 2
  • Red and black Spesh Roubaix no. 3261 ... its gonna be real cold i reckon... cold weather gear for sure. Though should be nice and sunny... Good luck to everyone riding...
  • Cold weather gear - wimps (haha, watch me freeze my ass off)

Looking forward to this, finally got my number today 991, blue Ribble.

Wind will be a bugger up over Hollingsclough Moor and down the descent. Am all ready though
  • Done. About 5:25 I reckon. 5:22 on my computer but stopped at one of the feed stations. Enjoyable but a bit lonely in the scond half.

First class organisation, well worth it.
  • kingrollo
    Did the 50 - riding time 3.11.
    Didn't start until 9.55 - so it was a lone ride for me - passing all the people on MTB, and slower road types - but dissapointing tbh - I was hoping to link in - with a decent group - but I guess they were all on the 100 - maybe next time !
  • Did the 160km pro ride, the "categorised climbs" were fine, the hill out of Leek almost did me over. manged it in around 6.44 hrs. Thoroughly enjoyed it thou, organissation was good. Although the lunch stop at the bottom of gun hill didn'/t do me any favours, almost re-appeared! :shock:

Back next year i think!
  • kingrollo
    thinking of doing the pro ride next time. I did the challenge in 3.11 pedalling time - although I did stop twice. I would hoping to do the big ride in around 6 hours - for those who have done it - is this feasible ?

What are the gradients on the big hills ? - and what is the gradients on the steepest hills
  • kingrollo wrote:
    thinking of doing the pro ride next time. I did the challenge in 3.11 pedalling time - although I did stop twice. I would hoping to do the big ride in around 6 hours - for those who have done it - is this feasible ?

What are the gradients on the big hills ? - and what is the gradients on the steepest hills

The challenge ride is basically the easy bit of the pro ride. You split off just as the pro ride gets "interesting". I think 6 hours would be a stretch if you did the challenge in 3:11, unless you do some training and improve of course.

Ramshorn is long but gradual, although one steep short section shortly after a short/quick descent. Your fresh enough that really it's not too bad.

By Hollingsclough moor you've been going uphill since the JCB factory so are quite tired. Very steep bit at the bottom (perhaps 20%) but then is gradual for another mile.

Gun Hill is tough. 70 miles in the legs with the two previous climbs. It's actually a relatively short climb but is hard. A very short section which is quite steep (15-20%)

After that, as has been mentioned there's a rise into Leek and another out of Leek (if I'm remembering correctly) which are really tiring. I also found the hill in the last 2 miles a killer (which all routes had to ride).
  • Agree with steveinthepeaks the worst hill for me was the one out of Leek. Its not that its much of a gradient its just tedious when you're tired and the wind is blowing: "Not here not now after all these miles!" By comparison to my only other 100miler, the Cheshire Cat, I found yesterday harder.

Anyone know who did the photos yesterday and where they would be on the web?
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
    A great day out on the pro ride, apparently a very tuff ride for my first 100.
    Ride time was 6hours and 36 minutes, altogether with stops it was a 8hour day.
    Gun Hill was not that bad compared to some of the other hills.
    At the 60-80 mark that headwind was terrible.
    Food stops fantastically stocked (have done sportives before and the food stops were not even ready for the first riders)
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Macondo01 wrote:
    Agree with steveinthepeaks the worst hill for me was the one out of Leek. Its not that its much of a gradient its just tedious when you're tired and the wind is blowing: "Not here not now after all these miles!" By comparison to my only other 100miler, the Cheshire Cat, I found yesterday harder.

Anyone know who did the photos yesterday and where they would be on the web?
    The photo's were taken by sportivephoto.com.They are not on yet last year they went on monday evening. My time was 6h 45 mins not icluding feed stops. It is one of the best organised sportives i've done.And yes cheddleton bank was a killer after so many miles in the legs.All in all a great day. :D