Am i being silly?

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Just got my 105 chainset delivered and it said it was including a bottom bracket. I take it that its the metal part coming out of the crank arm that is connected to the chainrings. Although looking at it doesnt look right. Am i missing some BB cups or summin. Will these be on my current frame or am i going to have to by some

sorry if im going to be sounding stupid

this is the one i bought

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... t_1184.htm

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The bottom bracket is the bit that goes though the frame connecting the two crank arms. It's screws into the frame on each side with ametal axel though the middle.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • And yes, your current frame will have one, which will probably work fine with your new cranks.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    do you have one of these

bb_sml_zoom.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • andy83
    yea thats what i thought. All that is on the one i got is a bar coming out of the crank which attaches to the chainrings

i know what a bottom bracket looks like just didnt know if it was different on this chainset

They dont seem to have sent me the bottom bracket :( looks like ill be ringing them
  • andy83
    no bottom bracket

this is the nearest i can get to a picture of it with the bar going through

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/dr ... 57722.html
  • andy83
    just rang merlin and they are sending me a bb out.

Feel silly for asking now but just didnt know if it was different on this chainset as only ever got a new mtb chainset

not overly happy cos bike is going in to get work done tomorrow and now havent got a bb til probably thursday :(

current bottom bracket is a square taper one so no good
  • andy83 wrote:
    just rang merlin and they are sending me a bb out. ...not overly happy cos bike is going in to get work done tomorrow and now havent got a bb til probably thursday ...

How's your relationship with the LBS? If you ask them nicely they might fit one from their stock and use yours to replace it when it arrives. Depends how put-out they are that you didn't buy through them in the first place!

Cheers,
    W.
  • andy83
    Actually that isnt a bad idea Get on quite well with the lbs and also a friend i have known for a long time works as a mechanic on a saturday.

They arent bothered in the slightest i have bought from elsewhere, mechanic actually said he would buy online and not from shop cos of prices

Ill see what they say.