What can I make out of these?

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
I have just purchsed my third mountain bike and my wife, reasonably enough, has requested that one goes.

I have a brand new Giant Anthem X4, a 2009 Rockrider 8.2 and a 2006 Giant XTC SX. All are still in posession of their original components (which will probably tell you that I don't ride hard enough!)

I have included the spec of each bike below. What I really want to know before I get rid of one of the hardtails is: is there anything worth transferring from the Rockrider and XTC onto the Anthem?

I know nothing about components and tend to take the experts opinions but have no idea what components are best. Any suggestions or abuse most welcome.

Thanks

S

Rockrider 8.2
Frame: - double-thickness 6061 T6 aluminium; racing geometry; 1.650kg in size L. Lightweight and hard-wearing. Geometry offers an ideal combination for climbs and descents.
Suspension/shock : - RockShox Reba Race 100mm fork with motion control Pop Loc on the handlebar. This fork is fully adjustable (bounce, hardness, blocking), to better adapt to your riding style. Motion Control lockout on the handlebar allows you to set the lock the way you want.
Drive train: - Truvativ Stylo 3.2 2-part 22x32x44 bottom bracket; SRAM X - 9 shifters; SRAM X-9 front derailleur; SRAM X- 9 rear derailleur; 9S SRAM PG950 11x32 cassette. SRAM X9 represents SRAM's second highest quality, for weight-saving and precision guaranteed.
Brakes: - AVID Juicy 5 160mm hydraulic disc brakes. Powerful, progressive, and ergonomic with double piston levers and clamps.
Handlebar/stem/saddle: - Rockrider Comp rise oversize handlebar; Rockrider 6° oversize stem; Rockrider Comp 29.8 seatpost; Fi’zik Nisene saddle.
Wheels: - Mavic XM317 disc rims; Rockrider disk DC91/DC32 hub with sealed bearings; DT Swiss spokes and nuts
RockShox Reba RACE Motion Control fork wih Pop Loc.
SRAM X9 drivetrain. Truvativ Stylo chainset.
Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic disc brakes.

Giant XTC SX

Frame Aluxx 6061/6011 Fluid formed
Rear Shock N/A
Fork Manitou Splice Super 100mm
Headset Cane Creek integrated
Chainset TruVativ ISIS
Front Mech Shimano LX
Rear Mech Shimano XT
Shifters Shimano LX 27 speed
Rims Mavic XM317
Hubs Shimano DEORE
Cassette SRAM PG950
Tyres KENDA Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.1"
Brakes GIANT MPH
Brake Levers GIANT MPH
Handle Bar Low rise GIANT Comp aluminium
Stem GIANT Comp Aluminium
Saddle WTB Speed V
Seat Pin GIANT Comp Aluminium

Giant Anthem X4

Frame
AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid FormedTM, 4.0"/100mm Maestro Suspension

Forks
Fox F100 RL, 100mm

Rear Derailleur
Shimano SLX Shadow

Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore

Shifters
Shimano Deore 27 speed

Chainset
Shimano Deore 22/32/44

Bottom Bracket
Shimano Deore, External

Chain
Shimano HG-73

Freewheel
Shimano HG50 11-34

Stem
Giant Connect

Handlebars
Giant Connect, low rise 31.8mm

Front Brake
Shimano M486 hydraulic discs, 160mm rotors

Rear Brake
Shimano M486 hydraulic discs, 160mm rotors

Brake Levers
Shimano M486

Rims
Mavic XM 117 Disc

Front Hub
Formula

Rear Hub
Shimano M475

Spokes
Stainless Steel, 14/15g

Tyres
Michelin WildRace'R 26x2.0" Folding

Saddle
Fi'zi:k Tundra w/ Manganese rails

Seatpost
Giant Connect

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    a Giant Rockrider X4 ?
  • In the time it took you to type all that i'm guessing you could have built lots.......... :twisted:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    I have just purchsed my third mountain bike and my wife, reasonably enough, has requested that one goes.
    Help her to pack, phone for a taxi and tell her you'll write regularly.
  • Get rid of one ! Phewww !!

Just tell her that the scientific calculation of the correct number of bikes is :
    All my dream bikes + 1.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • In the time it took you to type all that i'm guessing you could have built lots

No typing involved, but lots of cutting and pasting!
    Help her to pack, phone for a taxi and tell her you'll write regularly.

She's five months pregnant and if I did that I suspect various members of her extended family would have me kneecapped!!
    a Giant Rockrider X4 ?

Nope, a Rockrider 8.2 from Decathlon.

Basically, all I want to know is whether the wheels, brakes, drivetrain etc on the XTC SX or Rockrider are better than the Anthem's. If so, I'll swap them over before flogging one of them off (probably the XTC).
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    break one of them down into parts and stash them around the house/ shed/ loft/ garage.

then you can secretly keep all of them and have a nice reserve of spares just in case :wink:
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    get rid of the Giant XTC SX

sorted
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3 MTB and a partner and you need to lose one.......

Lose the Giant XTC, but some of the bits appear better than on the Anthem so I would swap them out
    XT rear mech
    LX front mech (marginal, may not fit anyway!)
    Shifters
    Wheels
    Bars and stem are a 'maybe'.

You can probably sell the Giant for me on a component by component basis than as a complete bike, giving you the opportunity to hide enough bits to rebuild later!

Currently I have 3 MTB's, one commuter a stripped jump bike and a stripped trekking bike.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • the "better" bits on the xtc wont be worth swapping over, 2006 will mean it's pretty old stuff and the newer gear will almost certainly be lighter and stronger, for example the mechs, which i certainly wouldn't swap.

TBH, i'd get rid of the xtc as is
  • Definitely drop te XTC. A bit too old and technology won't be on par with the spec of your new bike even though the spec was higher when it was produced.