Hello from a noob

Warwickshire Whizzer
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hello all.

Just thought I'd drop a line and say hi as I've been browsing here a while now. First road bike still to be purchased and infuriatingly, the shortlist is extending rather than shortening, as is the budget.

What started off as an easy decision for a spesh allez at around the £500 mark, has now developed into agonising over Bianchis, Pinarellos and Felts closer to the £1k mark.

I know the best bike for me is the one that fits, within budget and is adorned in white bits, but it's bloody hard to choose.

Hope I can contribute something here in the future!

Comments

• Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Welcome to the forum!

Not sure about the "adorned in white bits" part but agonising over what bike to buy is part of the fun - also nice to see you have the true cyclists idea of budget, going from £500 to £1000! :D
    The only thing I would say is that it's very easy to blow some serious cash on bikes - just be very sure that you can afford to spend the £1k, as if you end up not using it as much as you think you will then that's £500 wasted...
  • +1 if you start at the lower end you get the joy of choosing again in 12 months, or less, but you'll appriciate the upgrade more imho
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hello.

First thing is to speak to all your local bike shops, get a feel for them, and then use the one you feel is best to choose your bike.

All the best.
  • Cheers Guys,

The £1k mark is pitched about right for my budget though understand the comments about starting lower and seeing if I stick it out for 12 months first. That said, the Mrs would have a corony if I bought a 2nd bike a year down the line, this first one is costing me a large diamond to distract her!

Have only been into one LBS thus far and the choice wasn't great, that said there's a second LBS next town over and I'm testing out a Trek 1.5 on Wednesday with them.

And with my office moving from 45 miles away to 16, I'm going to be out on it a fair bit.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Well only you know what you can afford or are prepared to pay. I'd never suggest you or your family go without food for the sake of a bike but 1K gets you a lot more bike than £500. Although the Allez is prefectly good I'd say for a grand you can get all the bike you ever really 'need'. Had a quick look at the Allez and it's either 8 or 9 speed whereas for 1k you are looking at 10 speed which is more up to date. You could have a full carbon frame for this price and all in all a really nice bike. I'd alos expect the bars and stem etc to be tailored to your size (if you go to Ribble, Planetx etc or a good LBS).
    Like people said, you should go ride something and hopefully chat to people who know (local cycling club?).
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Buy the best bike you can afford, simple as that.

Buying lower down from this will lead to disappointment and more cost, as you will upgrade and write off most of the initial purchase price. Upgrading components is never as cost effective as buying a bike with them fitted and selling a bike on to buy a better one can cost 50%+ in depreciation, especially at the cheaper end of the market.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    If your looking at the £1K mark there's loads of choice. There's lots of 2010 bikes on sale.

I'd do some research and make a check list of what you want.

Ribble, planet x, focus, boardman all do carbon bikes for under 1K at the moment

Lots of people will say go to your local bike shop but mines a bit pants and only sells Raleigh so I buy online.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    £1k is usually boardman territory.

But the the Allez is a very nice bike.

Sadly no amount of gizmo's, carbon wotsits, will make you go any faster. Thats only acheived by time and effort (and fun) on the bike.

Just get out and cycle so hard, that your almost physically sick !
  • Also don't forget it's the price of gear on top of that (unless you've already got it of course). Shoes and pedals, bib shorts, jersey, helmets..... the list goes on and on and.....................on
  • Cheers Guys,

The £1k mark is pitched about right for my budget though understand the comments about starting lower and seeing if I stick it out for 12 months first. That said, the Mrs would have a corony if I bought a 2nd bike a year down the line, this first one is costing me a large diamond to distract her!

Have only been into one LBS thus far and the choice wasn't great, that said there's a second LBS next town over and I'm testing out a Trek 1.5 on Wednesday with them.

And with my office moving from 45 miles away to 16, I'm going to be out on it a fair bit.

Hello mate and welcome to the forum,

You were doing really well and making a lot of sense and then BAM!!! "a large diamond to distract her", sod that, once you have bought a bike you will never be home so she will not need any distracting.

So, to get back on track you had £500.00 plus now you have the diamond money so go and buy that bike :lol::lol:
  • oaky
    oaky Posts: 141
    Hi

Don't know where you are in Warwickshire, but I've heard good things about Mike Vaughn Cycles in Leamington. Never bought anything from there myself though.
  • Thanks Guys,

Use the diamond money too? - I'd have all the bike I'd want - but no home to house it or wife to tell me how fast I was!

Have too heard tales of Mike Vaughn, though thier in Kenilworth not Leamington, which is where I am.

And it's with them I'm trying out a Trek 1.5 tomorrow...

I'll let you know how I get on... (with the bike)
  • oaky
    oaky Posts: 141
    Yeah, Kenilworth, that's what I meant. I work in Kenilworth, I should know that.