North Sea to Norway

MichaelW
MichaelW Posts: 2,164
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Just completed a tour of the North Sea cycle route through Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Norway, up to Bergen. Im in Haugesund ( From Bergen by bus with bike, no problem) waiting for the Ryanair flight back to Blighty.
It is a great ride and I recomend the anticlockwise direction, you get the fitness on the flats before the hills of Norway and the scenery just gets better and better.
The highlight was probably a very rare sigting of a wild wolf in Norway, I was to stupid to stop for paw prints so it is unconfirmed.
The wild camping here is just great.
The weather has turned cold and rainy so Im glad I made it just in time.

You hear lots of horror stories about the Norwegian leg, impossible gradients, rough roads. Dont believe it, I managed with a std touring bike on 32mm marathon tyres with MTB gearing (11-34 cassette) and I only had to push about 4 times on soft gravel for about 20m each time.

I didnt have any schedule or daily milleage target. usually I had a general aim for a campsite or camping area but often at 4:00 Pm I would start looking for a suitable location. Often I would change plans based on local advise. On the ferry north of Stavanger I met a family from the tiny island of Kvitsoy who convinced me to stop off and camp on the island.

My Hilleberg Akto stood up to gales and heavy rain as expected and suffered condensation as expected.'
The Trangia stove worked fine for some quite ambitious cooking at times. and fuel is no problem.
I took a 3-season bag for the final leg and its getting chilly here.
I did debate whether to leave my Paramo jacket but I have been wearing it every day since beginning sept.

Comments

• JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    Glad to hear you had a great tour on the NSCR. I think you are right anticlockwise is the best way to go. Norway is indeed a great place to tour and you are right the gradients and the roads aren't that bad.

The wild wolf was a good spot. I didn't realise that they were any in the south of Norway, I had heard they were thinking of introducing them but there was the obvious opposition from the farmers!

You made a good call with your Paramo jacket and 3 season sleeping bag, I wouldn't go to Norway without a good sleeping bag and fleece or something similar in especially in late summer.