When did Muddy Fox go down hill

George_Walker
George_Walker Posts: 56
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I just wondered when Muddy Fox started to go down hill, in terms of the bikes you see in argos for £120 that there is no word to describe how rubbish they are, but just when did they stop making the kind of stuff they made in the early 1990's and late 1980's when it was top end stuff. Logic would suggest that it would have been towards the end of the 1990's as soon they were bought out by Universal Cycles in 2002.

Comments

• Basically they went bust and universal bought the name. Very poor when you consider the glory days (not the wheel discs though).
  • i think it was gravity that made them do that :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To be honest, they weren't considered much cop even as far ago as the mid nineties.
  • I just wondered when Muddy Fox started to go down hill

Remember when they were the mutts back wheels? Now you can buy one for the price of a meal and a few drinks. Shame :(
    By '92 they had no prestige among my um...clan. Alpinestars were the boys then....and where the hell did they go??

Maybe they should do a Saracen and have a relaunch
  • To be honest, they weren't considered much cop even as far ago as the mid nineties.

This for the truth.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    They do some expensive bikes, but for £900+ I'd expect something a bit more trick than an RST fork.

It made me laugh when I read that Gee Atherton used to ride for them. I'm guessing they must have done better bikes when he was on their team, or he rode something by a better manufacturer.
  • chedabob wrote:
    It made me laugh when I read that Gee Atherton used to ride for them. I'm guessing they must have done better bikes when he was on their team, or he rode something by a better manufacturer.

I think they used to ride rebadged Intense M1's
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    doggegg wrote:
    I just wondered when Muddy Fox started to go down hill

By '92 they had no prestige among my um...clan. Alpinestars were the boys then....and where the hell did they go??

they make motorcycle clothing AFAIK
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    I think [muddyfox] used to ride rebadged Intense M1's
    Yep. There were a few more teams doing that as well I think.
    t0pc4t wrote:
    [Alpinestars] make motorcycle clothing AFAIK
    Yes, and also general motorsports clothing. I'm sure I read a review not long ago of some MTB body armour and gloves.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I think [muddyfox] used to ride rebadged Intense M1's
    Yep. There were a few more teams doing that as well I think.
    t0pc4t wrote:
    [Alpinestars] make motorcycle clothing AFAIK
    Yes, and also general motorsports clothing. I'm sure I read a review not long ago of some MTB body armour and gloves.

yeah they make some excellent Motorbike Kit, plus a growning line of MTB armor and most recently some very nice shorts and jerseys.
  • WHAT WAS WRONG WITH WHEEL DISKS???

Haha - I remember when they were cool, heres a pic of me with mine - late 80's i seem to recall, on Pentire Headland in Newquay. I loved that bike and rode it just about everywhere..........
    iphonepics1442.jpg
    excuse the hair - I was in my 'surf bum' era......
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • 1988!
  • sounds about right........... looking at your location, did you know me or were you stalking me at the time????? lol. :shock:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Anonymous
    I had Muddy Fox Courier Mega 20 years ago.

Was my first 'proper' MTB and had a truly awesome 400LX groupset.

I think it cost about £400, which was a lot of money in those days.

It died 3 years later when I snaped it's forks.

Oh, and I made it look super cool by fitting florescent yellow Onza bar ends.
  • chedabob wrote:

Someone beat me to it but loads of teams did this back in the day
  • RichardSwt wrote:
    I had Muddy Fox Courier Mega 20 years ago.

Was my first 'proper' MTB and had a truly awesome 400LX groupset.

I think it cost about £400, which was a lot of money in those days.

It died 3 years later when I snaped it's forks.

Oh, and I made it look super cool by fitting florescent yellow Onza bar ends.

Mmmm - I had a set of those back in the day too. They were definitely super cool! 8)
    '03 Specialized HR Comp
    '10 Cube LTD Team
    '10 Boardman FS Team - gone but not forgotten!
    '11 Giant Anthem X4
  • i had the explorer, with the rear brake under the stays,
  • stuisnew wrote:
    chedabob wrote:

Someone beat me to it but loads of teams did this back in the day

They weren't re badged M1's. They did actually do some design work rather than being lazy, I seem to recall Dirt featured them testing the design at their home.

Was a nice bike (IMO):

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/bikes/2863.jpg