What bike? - 6 mile round commute

barrybarryr
barrybarryr Posts: 44
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi,

My works cycle 2 work scheme is coming up next month and I need a new bike.

The problem is I'm not sure what to buy. I currently have a mountain bike (but the frame is bent and the gears are knackered.

My commute is all road although I sometimes ride my bike on river tow paths which get quite bumpy.

I dont know if I should buy a road bike, a hybrid or a mountain bike.

I have to buy the bike from Evans and am looking to spend circa £750 - £800 ish, but may consider a little more.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Barry

Comments

• Ride a couple in your price bracket and see what feels most comfortable. If you commute year round or have to carry a lot of stuff get something with clearance and mounting points for a rack and mud guards.

If I were looking for bike to do what you describe id get a cross or relaxed geometry road bike. I have a hybrid, bought in haste and now regretted......
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Just some quick ones:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... e-ec021326

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec021793

Both have drop bars mind... and the availability of sizes. :P
  • 6 miles each way? or 6 miles return? £750 is quite a lot for such a short journey
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    +1

the Genesis hybrids Day 01, 02 are generally going for around £250 on ebay and they would easily cope with the journey you describe; I suspect even a shopper would.
  • Hi,

My works cycle 2 work scheme is coming up next month and I need a new bike.

The problem is I'm not sure what to buy. I currently have a mountain bike (but the frame is bent and the gears are knackered.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Barry

I reckon that if you are just using it for that commute plus a few more bits of fun of similar lengths then by far your best bet would be to ignore the cycle to work scheme and get something second hand.

£750 is a lot of money for 30 miles/week
  • Tricross, it is the business!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Would agree, £750 is a lot to pay for 6 miles each way, even with the cycle to work saving (circa 15-25% once you have paid the FMV at the end of the year) its going to cost you 3 times what it would by buying a good quality second hand one.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Valy
    There is the option of OP cycling for leisure though.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, though the OP doesn't mention that!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Valy
    Indeed, though the OP doesn't mention that!

Simon

Indeed.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    For the distance you're looking at, just about any bike would work, as long as it's mechanically sound, which your current one isn't!

I do a 6 mile each way through central London, and also ride a few towpaths/trails when I can at weekends. I currently use a 3 year old Kona Smoke, which has been brilliant, if a bit heavy. The newer model is even better, as it has 700c wheels (as opposed to 26" on the old model), which ups the gearing a bit for roads. I'm seriously considering buying a new one from these guys as the price is so good, and it'll be easier than replacing chain/cassette/tyres etc when they wear out. It looks like Kona have stopped making them, so I might just buy it now and loft it for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-SMOKE-MENS-H ... 3a55ec8ac1

A £700 bke will be overkill for your needs, and with the current uncertainty over the new HMRC guidelines, could turn out to be expensive. Save the money at the moment, and maybe buy a road bike if you decide to up your miles later. After getting used to the Kona, you'll fly along on a road bike!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I bought a Dahon Cadenza 8 for a 2x 7 mile commute and added a shimano dynohub front wheel and lumotec fly lamp. Its a grab and go bike for all-weather use with rack and mudguards. I dont use the foldyness very often. I changed the bars to On One Mary for extra comfort. The Shimano Alfine internal gear is a solid piece of kit and the shimano mechanical disc brakes stop in wet weather. Schwalbe Big Apple tyres on 26" rims eat up most urban terrain.
    The price has shot up this year so Im not sure it is still the bargain it once was.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    True any bike could do 6 miles, but that doesn't mean he can't get something fun...

Barry, what is the profile of your commute? hilly or flat?

If fairly flat I'd probably be looking at single speeds, Genesis flyer, Trek District, Genesis Day One, Specialized Single Cross, specialized langster for example.

If a more all round ride needed then a cyclocross bike or (whisper it) a hybrid might be a better option (Boardman's or Ridgeback Flight series look pretty good to me).

What is your background in cycling? Roadie? comfortable with drop bars? Mountain biker? commuting only? All this influences what you will be most comfortable on.

(or you could just buy a road bike :P )
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • btwin Vitamin maybe?
    Might blow the budget, mind.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    btwin Vitamin maybe?
    Might blow the budget, mind.

They've got them in black now. Much nicer than the "interesting" orange option.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • The Rookie
    The vitamin C orange looks great1

simon
  • Valy
    LIke totaly OMG, I saw a BTtwin VItamin on holidays!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    i would choose a bike which suits whatever you like doing for fun at the weekends - it'll cope with a 3 mile trip on the roads....

PBo
  • Thanks for the advice so far.

It's a 3 mile each way commute on flat roads.

What are the HMRC changes that you mention? I cycle to work a waste of time now?

I've only ever ridden mountain bikes before, I've never ridden a bike with drops. I'm not interested in putting a rack on. The only thing I may consider are some mud guards for winter.

I will be riding all year round, rain or shine. In terms of leisure riding I will normally ride each weekend and some evenings in the summer usually along river paths - around 10 miles or so and sometimes to Bath (about 20 miles round trip).