Wanted routes in North Hertfordshire/South Cambridgeshire

Hughsie
Hughsie Posts: 11
edited January 2011 in Routes
Hi folks,

Recently got my girlfriend who lives down south into mountain biking by taking her for a few rides in North Wales. Mainly cross county loops using bridleways and the odd forest singletrack for a bit of fun.

The plan is to travel down at the weekends taking the bikes with me and then get a few rides in over the weekend. Does anyone have any rides in this area all ready planned out. Not looking for anything too technical, the odd bit of singletrack is fine. Just want to get out and ride in the countryside.

If you have them saved and could email them that would be great, or if they linked to someone on the web I can plot them on an OS Map. There seems to be lots of trails in the area but dont know which are best so advice would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance

Hughsie

Comments

• Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php i use this website its real good. I live in the Saffron Walden area in North Essex/South Cambs, and there are plenty of bridalways. I spent yesterday getting lost for about 20 miles or so but it was fun. My usual loop is about 18 miles, mostly off road, maybe 2 or 3 miles worth of road, but its not a bad area to cycle, especially if you are allergic to hills!
  • Thanks Eyon!

Looks an interesting website? Do you have a copy of your route or link?The route you have sounds the kind of thing I am looking for. Basically want to jump on a bike and ride for a few miles and enjoy the countryside. What are the bridleways like in the area? Are most of them goers or they overgrown?

We went for a ride in Chick Sands the other day....did a few loops of the XC route and watched a bit of the National 4X Championships after but really looking to explore the bridleways.

Cheers Hughsie
  • Eyon
    well, some are great, some of course go through the middle of fields, which is fine when the crops are up and its dry, but come winter its wet and ploughed and makes for hard work. I've only recently been into MTB so im still finding some routes out, but there are some real nice ones. I'll try draw out some on that website and get them saved and put them up here. I normally aim for 20 miles each time im out, yesterday i did 20.1 and it was awful, picked some horrible routes, where as the other week i did 18 miles and it was superb!

I hear chicksands isnt brilliant for trails (concentrating on 4X), but Woburn is fantastic they say, im yet to go but cant wait when i get a new bike. Of course you also have Thetford which is OK, just flat and fast, its fun, the red/black routes combined (easy to do even if you're unfit like me) works out to be about 21 miles, not massively hard to do in a few hours.

Which part of the area are you in?
  • Im in the Letchworth/Hitchin area....if it was North Wales I can just jump on my bike and ride :lol: but I havent a clue down South so to speak!

That 18mile route sounds fun if you could draw it out that would be great! Yeah Chicksands was more freeride which I really enjoy but want to just get out with my girlfriend and see the countryside...not get big air although it was great watching the locals pulling some mad tricks! :D

Cheers Hughsie
  • Eyon
    There is a group of riders who ride from hitchin, search this forum as there is a thread, they will know the best routes for your area.

Ill try draw up some stuff and put it here when i have a free moment
  • Oh spot on....will have a look to see where they go then!

Cheers Hughsie
  • Hi Eyon & Hughsie

I am part of a small group that ride out from Hitchin on a Sunday morning at 8.30am doing about 20-22 miles in 2 hours - or so.

Checl out this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=20

Evoben has also set up a facebook page for us (although he has yet to join us) & I have posted links to our last 2 rides on there to mapmyride. Search 'Hitchin MTB' on facebook.

There is normally about 4 or 5 of us - but we are likely to be 2 short for the next few weeks - so any additions are more than welcome.....

John
  • Thats Brilliant John!

If Im down one weekend I may try and tag along if thats ok, dont know if my GF will fancy a 20mile ride out but will wait and see. Certainly be good to see what trails you are riding and where is best to go.

Just looking at an OS Map for the area and there are a lot of whites...do people use these or they private roads and they are frowned upon?

Do you have any of the routes stored on your computer that maybe you could email or a link to the web?

Cheers Hughsie
  • Hi Hughsie

I have attached our 2 most recent rides to the Facebook website which, hopefully, others can access.

On an OS 1:25K map you will see all the bridleways, byways & National trails - which is what we tend to ride on - joined up by some roads.

There is a tremendious network of tracks which 2 of our number know very well & we tend to do variations on various general loops.

There is also a good easy recreational ride around Letchworth called the Greenway which is mainly on tracks & is about 14mi in length. The Letchwoth tourist info shop does a map but this seems to have been out of print for some time - although it can be accessed on the net;

http://www.greenway.org.uk/downloads/ma ... -map-guide

regards - John
  • Cheers John! Thats brilliant!

Will join the facebook group tonight and have a gander :)

I had heard about this Letchworth loop....will have to have a look next time.

Cheers Hughsie
  • Developed a new ride this morning which is about 80% sorted....just a key missing track to find...

Its on Facebook under 'Hitchin MTB' & linked to mapmyride.

Because of the commitments of others I am on my own next week & would welcome some company. Please posh here OR PM me.

John
  • Hi John,

I've tried to add the Hitchin MTB as a friend on Facebook but as of yet had no luck. It it a group or a person?

Can you add the link here please so I can make sure Im getting the right bit!

Im down this weekend but not bringing the bikes....well not yet so will ask if I can! haha

Thanks

Hughsie
  • Hi Hughsie

Another forum member 'Pastasauce' who posts on Bikeradar - see link

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ht=hitchin

set up the Facebook page & intended to come out riding with us - but unfortunately I have not seen him yet. Perhaps this Sunday.....

To find the page I just search 'Hitchin MTB' on Facebook - If you 'poke' the page hopefully Pastasauce will make you a friend too.

Regards - John
  • Hi All

We are back in business after a Christmas / holidays break........

2nd Jan @ 8.30 outside the Pine Hill Hospital in Hitchin for a 2 - 2.5 hour trek around the tracks!

All welcome - PM me so I know to expect you!

John
  • Hi All

A good ride to start the year off! 4 of us out & did about 17mi on some slippery tracks.

I have given a link to the ride on 'mapmyride' website that does not really do justice as the tracks are not shown. The Fly-By video feature may be interesting.....

http://classic.mapmyride.com/ride/unite ... 7120923337

If you are up for it - see you next Sunday @ 8.30 outside the Pine Hill Hospital in Hitchin. PM me to ensure you are expected.

John