hope valley mountain bike challange sat 25th

stoponasixpence
stoponasixpence Posts: 9
edited September 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hello people,

Heading up to Hope Valley next saturday for the challange, just wondering if theres anyone out there who have either done preivous ones or are heading out there this weekend, What to expect and if its worth doing all of the 38miles or sick to the 20miler? ? ? ?
TO COME DOWN, YOU MUST FIRST GO UP.

Comments

• Hi, did the 38 last year, excellent route with some very testing climbs and descents ( at least for me!) If you have got some miles in your legs you must do the long route - it's a classic. But if you are feeling it you can always opt for the short route at the Edale CP.
    I've missed it this year as left it too late :cry:
  • Thanks for the info mate, i have a friend whos coming along and hes announced today that he only wants to do the twenty miles as he wants to get back for the football ! ! ! ! and seens as he is driving i cant argue. Just out of intrest are the other 18miles all off road and is it accesible all year round i.e bridlepaths?
  • There's bits of road linking off road together, longest stretch (i remember) is down to Hayfield and back out. All bridleways as far as I am aware. I'm sure somebody more technical than I will be able to give you a link or summat :oops:

Definately worth doing some time.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Thanks for the info mate, i have a friend whos coming along and hes announced today that he only wants to do the twenty miles as he wants to get back for the football ! ! ! ! and seens as he is driving i cant argue. Just out of intrest are the other 18miles all off road and is it accesible all year round i.e bridlepaths?

The routes that the HVMTB challenge covers are accessible & rideable pretty much all year round, all being on legitimate bridleways and so on (there's no special arrangements with landowners just for the event).

Some parts can get heavy snow through the winter, but other than that the ground is good for riding through all seasons.

There's a few miles on-road along the Edale valley to link up the descent from Jaggers Clough through to Barbers Booth & picking up the trail to the foot of Jacobs Ladder, but other than that I think it's all off-road.
  • Here's the long (38 miles) route from my GPS:-

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/539587

The best bits for me were the rocky descents - pick a line and go for it!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Was the long route really 38 miles?

My mates GPS calculated about 31, and although the GPS reading does not calculate actual distance covered in terms of climbing and descending, 7 miles difference seems a bit OTT...

?
  • not sure if it was 38 miles, we only did the 20 as my freind needed to get back for 3 oclock. First time i have done this route and the start was really tough going through the farm and then the long pull up to the top where the mast is. thought i was pretty fit till a few older looking guys came past me on a few hills. Great fun though, i will make sure i do the 38 next year.