7 Stanes Road Trip

Silversladey
Silversladey Posts: 450
edited September 2010 in Routes
I am planning a 4 day road trip to the 7 Stanes area of Southern Scotland.
This is not going to be enough time to ride every trail centre or route, so given the limited time which routes do you think I should schedule into this visit. :D
I normally ride trail centres in South Wales so should be handle both Red and Black routes.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, I can reccomend Glentress Red and Black, and Innerleithen. Fantastic rides. Even the blue run in Glentress is great fun for a blast, and there's a freeride area to play on for a while. In 4 days you should be well served by those two (Innerleithen is a few minutes away from Glentress)
  • I did the same thing a few weeks ago, stayed in Peebles, and spent a couple of days at Glentress & Innerleithen, both of which were great.
    We also did a day trip west to Kirroughtree ( 2hrs from Peebles ) and it was the best of the three Stanes we visited. The red / black route is superb, and the Talnotry Hill downhill just seemed to go on forever - best bit of man made trail ever in my humble and relatively inexperienced opinion.
    We were at K'tree on a saturday, and it was pretty quiet - only saw two other groups on the red / black route all day.
    Glentress on the sunday was mobbed. It was just bike after bike off the top of Spooky Wood. Still great fun though.
  • Depends how far you have to travel in them 4 days. Can you ride on the first day?

A stay in Peebles for 1 night and ride GT & Inners.

Drive over to Dumfries for 2 nights.
    Ride Kirry - 1hr from Dumfries.

Then Ae/Mabie/Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig are all withing 1/2 -3/4hr drive from Dfs.

Possible to ride Mabie & D`beattie or Ae/Drum in same day :lol:

What type of accom you looking for?

I live in Dfs and could maybe show you round the "local" loops of Mabie/D`beattie if I am not working.
  • Anonymous
    GT AND Inners in a day?
    Why the hell rush things, savour it, session a few spots, take in the scenery, enjoy it.
  • +1 with Yeehaa. You can easily spend all day at GT. As they're so close together then maybe 2 nights in Peebles maybe worth considering.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • +1 with Yeehaa. You can easily spend all day at GT. As they're so close together then maybe 2 nights in Peebles maybe worth considering.

I think the OP would like to visit as many trails as possible therefore the D&G trails would satisfy his request best imo

Living in Dumfries I am obviously biased :twisted:

I have ridden GT/Inners lots and still prefer the trails over my way.
    Had this conversation with someone on Fri past. He was getting all nostalgic about being one of the first to visit the Hub when it opened. I on the other hand have/had ridden GT long before the Stanes or Hub had been thought about.
  • Anonymous
    I on the other hand have/had ridden GT long before the Stanes or Hub had been thought about.
    GOD I wish I was you. You sound awesome.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I am planning a 4 day road trip to the 7 Stanes area of Southern Scotland.
    This is not going to be enough time to ride every trail centre or route, so given the limited time which routes do you think I should schedule into this visit. :D
    I normally ride trail centres in South Wales so should be handle both Red and Black routes.

hang on a sec. don't i get an invite to this? :(
  • I on the other hand have/had ridden GT long before the Stanes or Hub had been thought about.

When the only mountain bike available were a Raleigh Bomber :P
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2010
    Raleigh Bombers weren't mountain bikes were they?
    I had all sorts from a Peugeot, to a Kona, to a Kuahara, and in all honesty, none of them were MTBs but they all had the necessary parts list :lol:
    Actually, the Kuahara even had BioPace rings!
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    edited September 2010
    trailpuppet wrote:
    I on the other hand have/had ridden GT long before the Stanes or Hub had been thought about.

When the only mountain bike available were a Raleigh Bomber

Marauder actually and before that a Rudge Bi-frame(google that !! )
  • Anonymous
    Ah, fair enough, I thought you meant it in that "I'm the alpha male, I was riding before any of you were a horny thought in your father's head" kind of way :lol:
  • Nae bother yeehaamcgee, just a bit teritorial :wink: get a bit p`d off with all the GT is best posts on forums, have not been this year and think I was only there once or twice last year even tho it is only an hr or so away. Tend to go down the Lakes if given the choice.

A trail near Dalbeattie
    DSCN1761.jpg[/img]
  • Cheers all I have read all the articles about GT being the best place to MTB in Scotland.
    I really like the look of Kirroughtree. I think it will be well worth combining both the centres on my visit.

WelshKev,

Going next April, in the process of researching B&B's for possible 3 night stay. You will be more than welcome to come mate was going to ask you in person on our W2 outing :D
  • Going next April, in the process of researching B&B's for possible 3 night stay

Your starter;
    http://www.dumfries-and-galloway.co.uk/accommodation/bb_dumfries.htm

Something different;
    http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    WelshKev,

Going next April, in the process of researching B&B's for possible 3 night stay. You will be more than welcome to come mate was going to ask you in person on our W2 outing :D

cool, i was only winding you up mate :D . i thought we'd chat about it next time i saw you.

are you planning on taking the family aswell?
  • Trailpuppet,,

Cheers for the advice regarding the trail centres and the accommodation, i really want to cycle Kirroughtree and my mate fancies GT, so i am sure we can fit both of them in during our break. Is there much going on in Dumfries I am sure we would of earnt a much needed pint after a tough day on the mountain.
  • Loads :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA4lcwChMVc

If I am off when you come up I will take you on the "tour"

Food. If you like Indian;
    http://www.theindiapalmrestaurant.co.uk/

Or, Pub of the year;
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186513-d1572795-Reviews-Cavens_Arms-Dumfries_Dumfries_and_Galloway_Scotland.html

There is Jumpin Jaks, Chancers and A.N.Other for dancin till 3am :shock: followed by kebabs :?
  • 4 of us going up weekend of 22/10 to Inners' - can't wait!