A wider, winter equivalent of Specialized Fat Boy?

pete99
pete99 Posts: 43
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I know there's dozens of tyre threads here, but this is a fairly specific question.

I've run Specialized Fat Boys on my 26'' commuter bike for years now, and I love them – they're light, very, very fast and (until the end of their working life) pretty puncture proof. But they're pretty slim and can be slipy in the wet.

I've now got a new, flashier regular commuting bike and the old one is being turned into a winter/filthy weather commuter. The Fat Boys are getting a bit thin, and I was hoping to replace them with something a bit wider – maybe 1.5'' to 1.75'' – and less skiddy, but still lightweight and nippy.

I know I'll never get anything as quick as the Fat Boys in that width, but what are good, fast slick tyres of that sort of size?

Any tips most appreciated.

If you've got any other good ideas for adapting a winter-only bike I'd be keen to hear them, too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hmmm. I'm guessing this has either been covered extensively elsewhere, or it's too specific a question. How about this then – a relatively speedy, slight 1.5''-ish width MTB slick, anyone?