rear derailler cage lengths?

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited September 2010 in MTB general
after getting top of the range cassette and chain I'm thinking about replacing my 2 year old sram x7 derailler. is there much advantage to a more expensive derailler? and how do all the different cage lengths actually change the performance? also is shadow really worth the extra? ive never nocked mine when leaning over...

thank in advance :)

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Cage length determines how much slack the derailleur can take up. If you've got 3 on the front, you'll probably need a long cage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i cant feel the difference between my x0 and my old x7, i dont really think anyone can really feel the difference in their rear mech. however, the shifters do feel physically different when you get better specced ones.
  • and they last / stay in shape longer. pivots / springs and whatnot
  • i cant feel the difference between my x0 and my old x7, i dont really think anyone can really feel the difference in their rear mech. however, the shifters do feel physically different when you get better specced ones.

So more worthwhile getting better shifters and just servicing my rear derailleur?
  • Anonymous
    jadamson wrote:
    i cant feel the difference between my x0 and my old x7, i dont really think anyone can really feel the difference in their rear mech. however, the shifters do feel physically different when you get better specced ones.

So more worthwhile getting better shifters and just servicing my rear derailleur?

if i was looking for improved shifting, it is what i would do. definately
  • jadamson wrote:

if i was looking for improved shifting, it is what i would do. definitely

okay so next question, is my rear x7 derailleur and x5 front compatible with say an x9 or x0 shifter? also in your opinion, do cables make a difference?
  • Anonymous
    yup they will be compatible.

in my opinion, the actual cables make no difference to shifting, normal shimano cables well maintained will perform flawlessly. i could feel no difference with xtr cables compared to the normal cheapo ones which come with any shifters.

people will tell you different though.
  • chedabob wrote:
    Cage length determines how much slack the derailleur can take up. If you've got 3 on the front, you'll probably need a long cage.
    Not really. A typical set up is fine with a medium cage tbh.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3