End to End next May.

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
Anyone done this ride before. Its a Action Medical Aid ride over about 9 days from penzance to John O Groats..............looks epic?

Got to raise £2k sponsorship.
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• Have allways had my doubts about the end to end. (far better 1000 mile rides around). But seeing loads of poor cyclists on the A38 in cornwall when on holiday this year absolutly confirmed to me that the end to end is something I would never want to do.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    DaveMoss wrote:
    Have allways had my doubts about the end to end. (far better 1000 mile rides around). But seeing loads of poor cyclists on the A38 in cornwall when on holiday this year absolutly confirmed to me that the end to end is something I would never want to do.

What other 1000 mile rides are about?
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • I participated in an 8 day event in aid of the Scouts this year. To be honest, the £2000 minimum sponsorship fee plus £199 registration fee looks steep, It makes me wonder if they are using commercial organisers rather than volunteers. To that end you need to ask, 'what proportion of my fee is going to charity".

Overall the amount of support en-route is very good but it is no better than my event where all we paid was £700 each, and the Scouts still made a handsome surplus! Saying that they are providing good facilities. However I have a number of questions that are worth considering.

You also need to find out what standard of accommodation is being provided. I am used to tenting and we used it on our trip but you need to ask the organisers about standard of tents and number of people in tents. You will not sleep well before a long day's ride if the tent is cheap (leaks, etc) or you are shoe horned in a 3 person tent with the 3 people (they are never big enough).

There will be nothing worse than having dawdle for very slow riders or attempting to hang on the back of a fast group. Equally, if there are no teams, you may have several lonely days.

Looking at the destinations, I suspect that you will be riding along trunk roads. You may this rather grinding. We chose the harder option of riding up the spine of the UK to avoid the worst roads and the north west of England. Some parts are unavoidable but it was hilly and tough but far more scenic.

To be honest I would not enter the event. If your motive is simply to ride LEJoG, then you keep an eye out for other supported groups for clubs or small charities. The CTC forum may be helpful.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Ive just signed up for this - are you going to do it?
    us0.png
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/uk_end_2_end
    Our food menu will be devised by Science in Sport exclusively for this event
    Yikes, sounds like you are going to have to start loving smart gels and farting :)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    DaveMoss wrote:
    Have allways had my doubts about the end to end. (far better 1000 mile rides around). But seeing loads of poor cyclists on the A38 in cornwall when on holiday this year absolutly confirmed to me that the end to end is something I would never want to do.

The A38 isn't compulsory :wink:

Having said that though I agree that there are better long distance rides even here in the UK. I did LEJOG last year and as with most routes in the UK you need to find a compromise that is right for you between direct main roads and (usually) less direct minor roads. The A38 motorway is one road I definitely avoided though.
    More problems but still living....
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I'm signed up for this.