Trail building laws

FODCADEMON
FODCADEMON Posts: 207
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I regularly ride at a small wood and its becoming a bit samey so i was wondering whether it would be legal to build a few small jumps and berms. what exactly are the laws on trail building?
cheers
Just ride.

Comments

• Who does the land belong to?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not unless you own the woods. Otherwise you need the permission of the landowner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some discussion on this topic recently: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12729515

In short - get permission unless you own the land.

I'd seek out some local trail builders and discuss it with them. Failing that the local ranger or whoever that owns the land.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Dig on someone elses land without permission and you'll leave yourself open to trepass at the very least, criminal damage if you're unlucky and possibly a lot worse if someone gets hurt as a result of what you've done.

It really is time for sticky on this or at least an FAQ, NO YOU CAN'T JUST BUILD ON ANYBODIES LAND FULL STOP, DOESN'T MATTER WHO OWNS IT OR WHAT STATE IT'S IN, WITHOUT THEIR EXPRESS PERMISSION.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I still can't believe how naive some people are, thinking they can just build stuff wherever...

Or am I being too harsh on the young/inexperienced?
  • Common land comes under the jurisdiction of the controlling council I presume?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    doggegg wrote:
    Common land comes under the jurisdiction of the controlling council I presume?
    I believe common land (in England at least) is typically owned by either an individual or a group, with the rights to the commoners (you and I) to use the land in certain ways. Historically it was about local land owners allowing the community to graze their cattle on the land.

Basically it's still owned by someone (in fact all land in England is owned by someone, be it an individual, group, the crown, MOD, etc) and you still need permission.

Not sure if councils are involved, but it may be some councils do own common land these days.

However you can go and graze your cows on it if you like :D

There's a lot of woodland that people think is common land but is owned by private estates that allow the community to use it.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    deadkenny wrote:
    However you can go and graze your cows on it if you like :D.

No you can't unless you have commoners rights over the land. It's not open access land, only specific people have specific rights over the land. :wink:

more details here.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Actually all common land (with a few exceptions) is now "open access" land under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act.

Common land is, nearly always, in private ownership with historic commoner rights (commoners being a specific class of people within the register) registered in the local authority commons register.

Only problem is that open access land only gives you a right to roam on foot and not on your bike.

The Act also makes it a criminal offense to damage a private landowner's land in exercise of your right to roam.

As the guys above had said (and said a million times before) you must get landowner's permission to build trails on their land!!!