Fantastic route mapping website

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited September 2010 in Routes
Just found out about this site, really good if you dont own a plethora of OS maps.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• I'm getting a lot of java errors on both my browsers and I ain't going to allow noscript to access them I'm afraid.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • seen it before and still i get the same 3 errors before it runs properly but its worth looking at
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Superb. Very useful, and error-free performance here.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Works for me but it's slower than an ant doing a 30 foot shit.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Thanks for that heads up works nice and smooth for me
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • OK, I enabled java and it does work.

Looks OK, but I doubt I'd use it over my other route planner.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I've used that site quite a bit. Mainly for printing a map using an existing GPX log and also for finding the car park where the route starts and then putting the coordinates of it into my tomtom.

I've listed a few more map plotting sites I have bookmarked (never used most of them) incase anyone finds them useful-

Bikehike
    MaptoGPS
    Bike Route Toaster
    MapMyRide
    OS & IGN Maps
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I use this a lot - it's good for mapping routes and checking profiles, and the import/export is very handy. My only gripe is the O/S mapping - you get the 1:50,000 but zoom in and you don't get the 1:25,000, but that's a minor concern.

I've also been using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ which is more user friendly for any on-road routes as you just pick your nest waypoint and the software traces the route along the road - until you tell it not to. I then export my route and import it into Wheresthepath.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Thats sweet - Always annoyed me that OSM in Trails didnt distinguish FPs from Bridleways. Now I can figure it out.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Nice that

The popups arent errors, they are notifications, but they do look like Java errors I admit.

As for not running Java, in 2010, if you don't you're seeing half the internet!

A HUGE number of sites now use Java heavily, there.s little reason to turn it off in my professional opinion.

Lee
  • leeshields wrote:
    The popups arent errors, they are notifications, but they do look like Java errors I admit.

unresponsive script warnings
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    leeshields wrote:

unresponsive script warnings

That's Javascript then, not Java. Big difference.

Try Chrome if you're getting unresponsive errors as Firefox is painfully slow with Javascript at times.
  • i didn't say anything about java errors.

and i'd rather adjust firefox internally. and i'd rather suck satan's balls than run chrome for anything other than keeping up with it's development