What is this on a KTM DH bike?

RideXC
RideXC Posts: 67
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Screen%20shot%202010-09-18%20at%204.14.02%20PM.png

what's that? a bolt-on headtube protector of some sort?
I still can't understand why I want a singlespeed steel hardtail when I already have a full-susser with 27 gears.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm guessing it's an adjustable head tube of sorts, so you can change head angle.
    Don't know for sure though.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I think it's actually a bolt on head tube rather than adjustable presuming other headset are available for different angles
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    CraigXXL wrote:
    I think it's actually a bolt on head tube rather than adjustable presuming other headset are available for different angles

If thats a bolt on head tube I want lots and lots of loctite on it and all the bolts tightened with a scaffolding pole on the end of the allan key.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I would assume the frame is keyed to provide a secure mount and the bolts are there to prevent removal
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I think the headtube is mounted on a pivot, so those bolts are only used for changing the angle and stopping it tilting. They're not bearing most of the load.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    yeah it's for adjusting the head angle, with the use of nothing more than an allen key
    spoke.ie wrote:
    The front end of the bike is also adjustable. Head angle can be moved between 63-65 degrees with the turn of an allen key, again useful for tuning the bike to the course.
    Fancy a brew?
  • chedabob
    Seems incredibly overengineered when you compare it to Angleset or the pinch bolt system that some manufacturers use.
  • Ahh..... Thanks for the answers guys.... It seriously looked like a bolt on headtube lol... Whats the real world advantage of adjusting your frame geometry?
    I still can't understand why I want a singlespeed steel hardtail when I already have a full-susser with 27 gears.
  • chedabob
    RideXC wrote:
    Ahh..... Thanks for the answers guys.... It seriously looked like a bolt on headtube lol... Whats the real world advantage of adjusting your frame geometry?

Alters the centre of gravity, changes the steering characteristics and I think it changes how well the fork absorbs some hits.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    RideXC wrote:
    Ahh..... Thanks for the answers guys.... It seriously looked like a bolt on headtube lol... Whats the real world advantage of adjusting your frame geometry?

something to impress the chicks at the pub with.
    :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I think it's probably more useful for serious racers or someone that's REALLY into their fettling!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5