Could you ride 100 miles tomorrow?

13»

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nearly at 100 people having voted. Come on you lurkers, could you do a century tomorrow?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Funnily enough, I did my first 100 mile on Saturday passed. previously the longest I'd ever done was the Caledonia Etape.

Here's a link to the route, I did it clockwise as the forecast was for a light NW wind and I thought I would get the hills out of the way earlier rather than have to tackle them when I was tired later on.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4872823658

As it turned out the wind was a good bit stronger than forecast and was only really assisting me on the stretch from Crieff to Perth. I stopped in Perth for a quick bite at the cafe in Tesco for 40 mins. My total cycling time was 6hrs 52mins 38 secs for the 106 miles. If you take away the "extra" six miles that would equate to 6.28 for the hundred. The last 30 miles were not hugely enjoyable as my wrists and knees were getting pretty sore, so just a case of keeping it turning. But I totally agree that it's really just a mental thing and that it's achievable for the bulk of people.
    I felt a bit tired on Sat evening and my joints are a bit sore but nothing major, although I wouldn't fancy doing it again today :lol:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did, on Saturday. Not quite a piece of cake, but entirely manageable. 100 is just a number - it equates to being in the saddle for 6-7 hours for most of us. Where's the problem in that? As long as it's not blowing a gale in your face all the way most people I reckon could do a hundred without much prep. The biggest thing is not taking all + the kitchen sink along just in case. Once you get that in your head it's completely feasible.
  • If I wasn't working, I can't think of a better way to spend the day.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I could. It's been a long while since I've done an Imperial Century, but I'm confident I could do one, so long as the weather was OK, and the hills weren't big. I used to do a 60-miler every weekend and a century once a month. That was a long time ago, mind, but I'm riding a lot these days.

I might want some Assos Chamois Cream...
    Riding on 531
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Haven't done, reckon I could.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hadn't done an imperial century until earlier this year. I've now done three. all sportives. I like cycling but unless it's a specific event I can't be bothered to spend all day in the saddle.

The recent trip to the alps was a perfect mix of cycling, food, drink and relaxing :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    Hadn't done an imperial century until earlier this year. I've now done three. all sportives. I like cycling but unless it's a specific event I can't be bothered to spend all day in the saddle.

The recent trip to the alps was a perfect mix of cycling, food, drink and relaxing :D

+1
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    JonGinge wrote:

If you went faster, it wouldn't take all day :wink:
  • Most people could do 100 on the flat, but throw in a bunch of climbs and the fitness level you'd need increases a fair bit.

It was said at my school (in SW London) that when the evacuation was ordered during WWII, the pupils got on their bikes & rode to the boarding school outside Oxford that had agreed to house them all. Probably just shy of a century, but not bad for a bunch of 8yr olds!
  • That's crazy if it's true, and I guess the bikes they had back then were pretty shabby, no easy gears and that?

I couldn't do nowhere near 100 miles I know that, not in one straight go anyway
    ɹǝʌo llǝɟ noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    So its official. With a sample size of over 100 voters, 85% of Silly Commuters could cycle 100 miles in a day.

A few of us could do much more, a few of us wouldn't make it and one of us says a century only counts if its on a fixie!

It would seem that the majority of us are as fit as a bunch of 8 year olds from the 1940s. Doesn't that make you feel good about yourself?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I could do 100 around here on the roads that I tend to ride on, either straight out with only pee breaks, or with a big lunch stop for preference. In the lake district? Maybe, but it'd be hard going. Anyway, yes, and more than that, I intend to, next summer.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I've given serious thought to leaving early and doing a century as a morning commute.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yea could do 100 tomorrow.

Challenge would be the terrain I'm riding the 100 over and setting a time to complete the distance in.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Did 70 today, so 100 tomorrow would be a bit of a stretch, tbh,
    did the Dragon this year in sub-8hrs (inc stops) and did the CRC sportive
    in Builth Wells in May in 30deg+ of heat, so like to think I could do 100
    any time I llike, but, realistically would need to train a bit for it, cos
    haven't done many miles during school hols.
    Getting back into it, now though, training for JOGLE next Spring..........
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...