CRAMP

longster
longster Posts: 53
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi Just after some advice.
was in the south of france at the beining of this week where i did the club des cingles du mont ventoux.

On the second accent i suffered some pretty bad cramp. so I eased back and got through it.
I also had a similar problem on the dragon this year.
On both rides I was using gels and carbo powder. can anyone offer advice on what i can use to stop this?

Thanks in advance
Mark

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    Warm up, salt, water.
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Warm up, salt, water.

+1 - but what you actually need is "salts" - it's not just table salt. Loads of good electrolyte drinks out there - I happen to like SIS.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    Pretre wrote:
    Warm up, salt, water.

+1 - but what you actually need is "salts" - it's not just table salt. Loads of good electrolyte drinks out there - I happen to like SIS.

Packet of crisps works for me.
  • Thanks for the advice guys will give it a try.
    Mark
  • I was told recently that a drink of tonic water the night before does the trick.

This was related to someone of 71 who had just completed 75 miles of hilly riding far better than I had :D
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I have a multi vit/mineral to minimse night cramps which seem to be an equal problem to bike cramp; I sem to pull muscles in night cramps.
    Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Nuun tablets work for me and you can carry them to add to your bottle when refilling.
    Brian B.
  • I was told recently that a drink of tonic water the night before does the trick.

This was related to someone of 71 who had just completed 75 miles of hilly riding far better than I had :D

Is that with or without GIn and Lemon? :lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think the tonic water has got Quinine in it but it didn't do a lot for me.
    Sometimes cramps are not caused because of low salts etc, it's because your legs are stuffed. The muscles gets messages from the brain to keep applying pressure on the pedals but the fatigue means that sooner or later your muscles become slow in responding to your brain's messages and the muscle shorts out causing a spasm.
    My mate was at Ventoux a few backs; lucky bugg@!!
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • I always used to get cramp in early season races as no matter how hard I trained replicating that effort is always difficult. So the best tip I can offer is try an replicate the kind of effort as much as you can in training. As well as the Electrolyte drinks during the ride for a fews days before I drink plenty of Tonic water ‘Quinine‘, which supposedly helps prevent cramp.

Paul_Smith
    www.corridori.co.uk
  • Try an energy drink that has electrolytes as well as sugar in it such as Torq.