Schwable Nobby Nic as raer tyre

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Firstly i have a Cube with the conventional set up of Racing Ralph on back and Nobby Nic up front. My Racing Ralphs have lost a lot of the grip and the side walls are persihing. The Nobby Nics are in a fair condition. I have a spare Kenda Nevegal but it wont fit on the back due to a buckle in the wheel.

Thus my question is, does anyone have Nobby Nics as their rear tyre and how do they grip? (I would put Kenda on front and NN on back). I am racing on Sunday therefore have no time to check it out.

Thanks
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    IMO the Nobby grips well but makes the bike weave... i've tried a Nic on the front and the rear and we've never been friends. Ralphs are much much nicer.

p.s. I think your bigger issue is the wheel more so than the tyre :)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    weeksy59 wrote:
    I think your bigger issue is the wheel more so than the tyre :)
    This.

Get your wheel sorted. Keep the Nic up front.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I nkow this is the problem as it is preventing me putting a Nevegal on the back, but i'm racing on Sunday so the question really is, would it be better to put a Nobby Nic on back with a fair amount of tread, or keep the Racing Ralph with limited and I mean limited tread and let some air out for some more traction?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I run Nics on front and back and love 'em. They are the 2010 versions which are different to the older ones and I'm very impressed.

However, I'm not so impressed with them in gloopy mud so I've got some Bonty Mud X for the winter.
    Craig Rogers
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Get the wheel fixed and fit the NN. If its the Ruthin Marathon your doing you'll need all the grip you can get as its likely to be very soft going. I don't think RR would be my choice with all the recent rain.
  • I love how my 2010 NN Evo's handle over pretty much any terrain, but despise how prone to punctures they are. I'll be switching over to some proper winter tyres soon but i'll be sad to lose the confidence I built up with the Nic's.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    NNs are great but I found them really disappointing in mud, you get used to them gripping far better than you expected them to do, then along comes a wet patch and they spin out. Quite a big grip discrepancy, I guess you could call it, which is quite unsettling (it's easier to ride on a tyre that has poor grip all the time than a tyre that has great grip most of the time and poor grip some of the time IMO)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have a 2010 Cube Trail with Nobby Nics front and back, I'm new to mtb'ing from a 15yr break and slowly getting back into it, I have to say, so far this year the NN have performed flawlessly and I'm very happy with them, only time will tell how well they perform when the weather gets worse and the trails become muddy
  • qgwp
    qgwp Posts: 53
    Recently put Nobby Nic 2.25 width Evo 2010 Allgrounder version on front to try.
    This new version is designed to run same direction front, or rear.

Impressed with new Nobby Nic imposing look, excellent grip, & relatively low rolling resistance for the width. Not the best at rapidly shedding mud from tread, but seems to make no difference to continuous biting grip, so I don’t particularly mind.
    I’ve just ordered another exact same 2.25 off eBay to try on back too.
    If summer was coming, I’d probably “join the fold“, & opt for trying a Racing Ralph for rear.

But be warned! My Nic are replacing scarily skittish 2.1 Continental Speed Kings that came with recent bike, so, I’d currently probably be impressed with nigh on anything in comparison!
    I was initially considering just swapping over my old part-worn Maxxis Advantage off past bike (even worn, they would be better than Speed Kings), but decided to experiment to try & find better.
  • I run a Nic front and Ralf rear and I've only had them on for a month. For my day to day pedals through the local woods etc they are great, even the Ralf was grippy on a muddy climb which I was not expecting. What did catch me out though was my weekend at Afan and Cwmcarn - Nic was top bolox on everything and really confidence inspiring, the Ralf (although predictable when sliding) could not find grip while heavy breaking on the downhill’s and I found my rear locking at nearly every rough section. Was still a fun tire and as it happened all the time, didn't knock my confidence but I thought a Nic on the rear as well would have been more controllable.

I guess the Ralf is a cross country tire not black run Cwncarn material ;-)