Winterising

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Good word huh!

A cycle club member posted on our club forum that he covers all the bolts / brackets / etc. on his bike with vaseline during the winter to prevent rusting or oxidisation. I cleaned my bike fully a couple of weeks ago and done this, filling up the allen bolt heads with vaseline, smearing it on brackets etc. I'm thinking it was a really good idea, when I come to clean it the vas should just wash away and I can apply more.

The areas I covered have got a fine layer of dust stuck to them now but that doesn't pose a problem to me, I quite like the 'well used' look on my commuter.

Is there a reason this is a bad idea?

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Used to do this, but it generally washes out and is a fecking mess when you need to undo something.

Would coat all bolt threads and seat post (where it goes into the seat tube) in copper grease though - stops seizing.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 Coppaslip is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to stopping things siezing up.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The only problem with copper grease is that you can't clean it, you can only spread it across more surfaces; it's on my allen keys, spanners, overshoes, spd shoes and every garage cloth / beer towel I own.

Wiping it somehow manages to get it on the cloth with out actually removing it from whatever you were cleaning. The stuff just multiplies.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    The only problem with copper grease is that you can't clean it, you can only spread it across more surfaces; it's on my allen keys, spanners, overshoes, spd shoes and every garage cloth / beer towel I own.

Wiping it somehow manages to get it on the cloth with out actually removing it from whatever you were cleaning. The stuff just multiplies.

+1