Tour of the Marsh .. this Sunday

bam49
bam49 Posts: 159
anyone doing the Tour of the Marsh this Sunday ? 93 miles around Romney Marsh and surrounding area... Never cycled in that area before so I'm looking forward to it , and the mostly flat course should make a welcome change from the hilly sportives everyone usually does.. Not ideal prep for the Tour of Dartmoor on Sat week but I hope its a great day out....

Comments

• i'll be there, looking fwd to it. if the weather forecast is to be believed it'll be dry with temps of 12-16 degrees, 14mph winds from the west. i'm more used to hilly north downs terrain so it'll be new for me - tho they do mention a couple of hills towards the end
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I;m doing it, looking forward to it and the weather looks good. Will try to get down and register at 7:30 when it opens and get away. So, if you see a bloke in giordana with a litespeed, its me, come over and say hello. :wink:
  • ....aiming for 0730 too . i'll be in red on a black speccy triple
  • bam49
    nice one :) I will aim to be there for 7.30 as well, red white 'n black Felt , I'll look out for you 2 .,. This could be really good :) .. early one for me tonight !
  • bam49
    well that was a blast :) I spent too long fannying about after registration so started with some riders for MS. A puncture at 8.5 miles meant that from there to first checkpoint I was on my own. Joined 3 others after first stop and we kept together till start of the hills after 2nd stop.. Two of the guys had been struggling on the flat so dropped off pretty quickly, then the last guy cramped badly so I pushed on alone for most of the final third.. I rolled in in 5:54 so fairly pleased with that I guess..
    I really enjoyed all the flat bits across the Marsh down to Lydd and back etc, but could have done without the last bit, some tricky little single track climbs and lots of hairy descents under trees with lots of gravel around...
    signs were all ok and the two stops had all the basics/ regulars...I got a gel & some recovery powder at registration , I wonder if this was the goody bag ? I realise the guys have to make a profit and all that but £28 seemed a bit steep imo for what you got.... still had fun though so thats the main thing..
  • yes, dodgy lanes aside it was a great route - enjoyed all the flat marsh lanes, & stunning views from the Downs, quite liked the pine forest too. made 2 schoolboy errors - tried to stick with 3 guys going too fast for me ( i was doing 23 mph watching them disappear)...and i didnt actually study the route beforehand very closely & assumed we had about 145 km on the flat with a couple of hills thrown in at the end. Big mistake. as a result the last 20 miles or so felt pretty painful - they still do actually. managed 5:34. fantastic weather too.
  • Anonymous
    I did the 100k route in the end as I got atext from Mrs dmclite and was asked to get home earlier and judging from guillames descents it was a good call. Managed to get the best time on the day for the 100k at 3.09 hrs so pleased with that. Nice to see you at the feed stop guillame, but i think we all split on that little climb and then descent to the military canal road after that. I got caught by Dealtri and a Brixton CC riders just after Camber sands on that fast road, worked well with them up to Hythe and then left them when we went back into the lanes. Will do it again, but they need to drop the price a bit. I think the venue and inital set up costs may be the reason for the steep price. I may e mail them and ask, plus as you say the goody bag was just normal sportive stuff, so no goody bag as such. Excellent route though, very fast and hardly any traffic, apart from the ar5ewipe in a range rover who nearly wiped me and another car out overtaking on the military road to Rye !
    Cheers,
    Dave.
  • hi dmc - yes, nice to say hello as you shot past. i was just about keeping up with brixton & dealtrix until we caught you, then i dropped. solo the rest of the way. there always seem to be grumbles about the cost of sportives. i dont mind too much as i dont do them very often. but i would have thought they could at least have given everyone a cup of tea at the start/finish out of the £25. not a lot to ask. congratulations of your time!
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, I was a bit annoyed that they were charging for the drinks at the registration, ok it wasn't extortionate.....hang on, I am going to stop moaning. I had a great ride on a really good course, it was a choisce to pay for it and will definately be back next year, I reckon I would have gone below 3 hours, but me and the Dealtri fella slowed and waited for the Brixton guy when he lost his saddlebag on the lumpy road along dungeness seafront. Do you know where the event photos are up at all ?
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for that. :wink: