Save Herne Hill velodrome

Dudu
Dudu Posts: 4,637
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Scene of the 1924 and 1948 Olympics, not to mention the annual Good Friday track meet, and the grandstand is a listed building.

Now they want to knock it down (and probably build more overpriced rabbit-hutches and branches of Tesco).

http://www.savethevelodrome.com/

Comments

• We must save it!

I rode on it once for a London-wide school sports event and have yet to take any of the mini-BJUK's there for one of the rather interesting looking Saturday morning sessions!

Would be a terrible shame if it does go.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Having lived in south-east London for 40-odd years I'd never been to the Herne Hill velodrome until last Tuesday. And now they're closing it? If it was something I did, I guess I owe everybody an apology.

If it goes it won't be for rabbit-hutches or a convenience store, it'll be for the sort of ''exclusive'' gated apartments that I generally detest. It's prime fake-Dulwich land, worth a lot of money. I wonder if the thinking is ''they won't need it any more, they've got a new track in Stratford, haven't they?''

Right, I better get off and sign that petition...

EDIT: it's not a petition but I've signed up for their email updates.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Right, I better get off and sign that petition...

EDIT: it's not a petition but I've signed up for their email updates.

I intend to go to the meeting on 6 Oct if I can get away from the multimedia interface early enough.