What other sports / activities do you do?

Bling Bling
Bling Bling Posts: 67
edited October 2010 in Women
Hi ladies,

I've been on holiday over the last couple of weeks and in that time my friend convinced me to give roller derby a try. Turns out I love it, and better yet it works the same muscles needed for mountain biking. Now saving up for my kit to become a real roller girl.

The andrenalin rush, skills building, indurance etc. is all very similar - as is the risk of being hurt. The difference being that it is driven by a team coach, it's a contact sport and you meet more like-minded women in one session that you ever see out on the trails.

Just wondering what other sports / actitivies you girls do outside of mountain biking, and if you feel that they compliment each other?

BB

Comments

• Horse riding is my other passion, although my horse is old now.
    Caz xx
  • Er, I design the programmes for roller derby bouts, does that count? Mountain biking is pretty much the only 'active' hobby I have since I had to give up martial arts.
  • Freestyle kite buggy, kite landboard, kitesurf, snowboard.

I did it the other way round, kited first then discovered mountain biking-they definitely help each other & stop me going slightly mad when weather dictates I can't do one of the others :)
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    I'm a really keen climber/boulderer and mountaineer when I'm not biking. Not doing as much these days as am waiting for an operation to have my big toe fused (too much climbing and squeezing toes in to tight rock shoes from a young age..ouch!)
    Also, really enjoy ski mountaineering and all off-piste skiing. This is very similar to mountain biking as you've got to first 'flog' up big hills (well mostly mountains in the alps) and then when skiiing down you've got to cope with all different kinds of snow and adjust your technique etc to match as well as pick the best lines etc. The feeling of carving turns is very similar to how you deal with berms on a bike!

Kathg
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Sailing, motorsport (we have a rally car which I co-drive sometimes, and I also compete in autotest type slaloms), running and skiing :D

All good fun, but MTBing is my current passion!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I do Martial arts, have done for a couple of years now, I did other martial arts when I was a kid but I've definately upped my game on this one.

I train at least once/twice a week, if only I'd MTB as much. :?
  • Er, I design the programmes for roller derby bouts, does that count?
    Lol, yeah I guess that can count, I'll allow it on a technicality ;)
    have my big toe fused (too much climbing and squeezing toes in to tight rock shoes from a young age..ouch!)
    Ouch! I didn't know that was a climbing hazzard! Sounds very uncomfortable.
    Also, really enjoy ski mountaineering and all off-piste skiing. This is very similar to mountain biking
    That sounds really exciting. I've only ever done dry slope skiing as a child on a school trip, would love to go abroad and do it properly though. I never seem to have enough pennies to do all the things I want.
    I train at least once/twice a week, if only I'd MTB as much.
    I know what you mean. My nearest mtb area is a good long drive away so not easy to do on a whim or as regularly as I'd like.
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Hi Ladies,

what else apart from MTB? Hmmm.... I used to rock climb and fell-run when I lived in Sheffield. Then moved to Scotland and did a lot of winter Munro-ing. Now in Aberdeenshire with great coastline and my main summer sport is sea kayaking. MTB reserved mainly for the winter, which is a problem when it is mostly snowy! Need serious studded tyres this winter, I think, as last winter was a wash-out! It was great for skiing though (I'm a downhill type, ski mountaineering too much like hard work!).

Lucy
  • DJIP
    DJIP Posts: 1,724
    I don't do anything apart from biking, maybe I need to get into more! No one I know does anything else though, so I don't know how I'd spread out into other activities.
    Little Purple Patriot :D
  • used to alot of climbing but got the mtb'ing bug a couple of years ago and 90% of my time is now spent doing that. its too hard to try to do multiple sports without one suffering.
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Hi PolarCherry,

you're so right that other things have to suffer. Since taking up sea kayaking 4 years ago my poor MTB has been relegated to winter-only use, and the poor Munros are now playing 3rd fiddle, climbing has become non-existent. Such a shame, but there's just no time for everything. I guess it makes for an interesting life, though, to go through different phases, although I wonder whether being a jack-of-all-trades and master of none is a good thing or not...? I'd love to be really really really good at something, but I'm not!

Lucy
  • In this country its just biking, abroad is very bad skiing. I used to windsurf but was very bad at that too and couldn'd afford to keep up with the technology for 2 sports.