Tyres, wheels and comfort

El Diego
El Diego Posts: 440
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
I've been riding Michelin Pro Race 3 on Ksyrium Sl's all summer. Yesterday I put on a pair of Shimano RS10, with Schwable Lugano rigid tyres (same width as Michelins) and the ride felt so much more comfortable. I didn't really notice any loss of speed and it's got me thinking is it really worth spending all that extra money on fancy wheels at all?

I've not done any climbing with the new wheels yet, which is where I'd expect the Mavics would excel.

What I would like to know is if its the wheels, tyres or both that affect comfort?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    Both.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    spokes too

and tyre pressures.......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    El Diego wrote:
    I didn't really notice any loss of speed and it's got me thinking is it really worth spending all that extra money on fancy wheels at all?
    its pretty marginal unless the wheels weigh an absolute ton. my winter bike has stelvio tyres and 23mm wide trekking rims with internal bracing but it doesnt seem to impede cruising speed that much.
  • Must admit I have buyers remorse after upgrading from stock Bontrager SSR to Shimano DA7850. They look prettier, but if I'm totally honest I can't really feel any difference. Wish I'd put the £500 towards a TT bike or something