Etap du tour - how realistic?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm intrigued by this as a trip but wondered what level of fitness you need to achieve so as not to get eliminated.

I know the route changes every year but what level are we talking about here? Semi-pro riders or amateur blokes like me who fancy a bit of a fitness challenge?

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    My brother-in-law did the Etape last year - including the Ventoux. He's very fit indeed but certainly not 'semi-pro' nor even an amateur racer... and I believe he did a pretty good time. So I think an 'amateur bloke who fancies a fitness challenge' can do a good ride - but it is a serious challenge worthy of some thorough preparation. Better start with some sportives...

Go for it! :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd say seriousness of prep must be up there with trying to do, say, a 4hr Marathon...
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    9,000 riders of most shapes and sizes start. The amateur blokes like you (and me) that like a fitness challenge finish in front of the broom wagon. The Racer types finish at the front and there are always those that haven't done enough training.

You have 10 months. If you like cycling and like a fitness challenge then go for it. I did the 2007 Etape and it was awesome.
    Rich
  • rodgers73
    I'm totally new to cycling but can run a 10k race in 45mins. No idea if that is in any way an indicator! :?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I can eat 5 cream crackers in a minute.... would I be ok?
  • rodgers73
    My typing at 48 word per minute would leave you for dead!