Restoring an old bike

Bacms
Bacms Posts: 8
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Hello everyone,

I bought recently an old Raleigh hybrid bike on a college for ten pounds. My objective is to bring it back to working order so that my girlfriend can use it when she visits me on the UK. Which normally only happens 4 or 5 weeks a year.

For that reason I don't want to spend the earth just making an nice looking bike that works without much trouble when required. The main problem with it was that the chain and rear dérailleur is completely rusted and so they both need replacement.

Now the problem begins. The wheel has a six gears that I suspect are free-wheels. But the gear lever is rubbish as well but I cannot find any six speeds suitable one. Can I change the wheel to a 7 speed free wheel and that way pair with a more decent gear shifter. I don't need a front dérailleur since it is a single disc crank wheel. Can someone tell me if for hybrid bikes I can use the normal MTB components or they are specific? Also do I need a direct fit or one of that hangs from the frame?

So after a some thinking I think I need the following components:
Rear Derailleur
Rear Wheel 700c
6 or possible 7 speeds freewheel
Gear shifter
New brake and gear cables

Optional:
Tyres (The one it has are heavy used)
New vintage handlebar (No idea how to attach this to the frame)

Based on this can anyone give me suggestions for what components to get?

Thank you in advance,
Bruno

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I haven't the foggiest, I'm afraid. Might be worth posting in the "Special Interests" section in the "Road" forum.

Good luck!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Got a photo?

Why do you need a new back wheel?

You can put a 7 speed cassette on your freewheel. Any mech will do.

A 7 or 8 speed shifter will do.
  • The wheel is really rusted that is the only reason why I was considering changing the wheel as well as get a freewheel with more gears so I can buy a better shifter.

I only have photos of the components I replaced not actually the bike. I will take one tomorrow and upload.

Where are the ones for the parts that need replacement:
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bacmsanto ... directlink
  • Get yourself another similar price/condition bike and one good bike out of all the bits.
    With the money you could save, buy new tyres!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Good job you only paid a tenner!

Most of the problems with shifting on old bikes are due to cables and rust. If you lubricate all the moving parts on the derailler and on the shifter, and wiggle them until they move smoothly, and replace the cable, you should be able to get it shifting again. If you do need to replace parts, MTB parts will work fine. You might need to get a different derailler hanger though. You can find everything you need secondhand on ebay.

As for swapping the handlebars, you have to loosen the bolt in the middle of the stem (don't turn it too much or the wedge will fall off the bottom of the stem bolt and get stuck in the fork steerer), then simply pull the stem out of the forks. It looks like it'll probably be rusted in there though - spray some PlusGas or WD40 down there and leave it to soak for a bit. Then if it still doesn't come out, you can sit on the front wheel and wiggle the stem and push upwards at the same time.

Then take the long bolt and wegde out of the steerer, and put a long rod or screwdriver down there and knock the top cap out. Put the top cap, bolt and wedge in the new stem, put the new stem in the fork steerer, then just replace the cables.