Protective tape ......

pastasauce
pastasauce Posts: 221
edited September 2010 in The workshop
I've a new commuting bike that I want to (a) protect from being scratched in the station cycle rack, but also (b) make it look unappealing to any thieving toerags.

On the last bike I used what was meant to be removable tape all over the main tubes but after two years its left a lot of sticky crud behind !

Any recommendations for a low adhesive, easily removable tape ?

Ta

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Fablon, or the generic 'fablon' like rolls you get in Homebase and the like. Fablon is a trademark (like sellotape is).

I got a roll of it from Homebase for a few quid, enough to do about 30 bikes. I renew it each year on my carbon road bike to keep it looking smart.

Edit: Just wanted to point out that I don't cover the entire bike in the stuff :lol: Just in strategic places like under down tube, inside of chainstays and forks - that kind of thing.
  • That looks ace, thanks for the info.

Just been checking it out on fleabay and theres loads of options.

And no crap left behind after removal ?

Cheers
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    It's what Blue Peter used to refer to as 'sticky backed plastic', they didn't mean sellotape, it was Fablon :lol: It stands up reasonably to wet, too, sometimes it will lift at the leading edge by the forks, so what I do is apply a sacrificial piece of fablon over the fablon underneath so every now and then I only have to apply one small strip if it starts to lift. Doesn't always happen.

To take it off, just use a warm sponge and lift it away, I've never seen any crap left behind when I've used it.
  • I tend to use bits of old innertube held on with zip ties on the bits of the frame that are likely to get bashed about. Looks fairly unnaplealing to theives too.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    google Copter tape.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    google Copter tape.
    +1
    http://www.racerstape.co.uk/ Shop around for better prices.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    nicklouse wrote:
    google Copter tape.

Useful stuff, but doesn't really meet the visual stimulus criterion, does it?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    google Copter tape.

Useful stuff, but doesn't really meet the visual stimulus criterion, does it?

I guess I missed the part about making the bike look unappealing. 8) In that case, try getting some Static Cling Vinyl. Can usually be found in sign shops and on the net. It's a non-adhesive thin plastic covering that clings to smooth surfaces and itself and can be found in different colours and re-used many times. You may also find it in craft stores in small pieces with all different types of ugly artwork on them already. Here's a perfect example. http://www.superclings.com/xmas.htm