OT Bread from ASDA

2»

Comments

• I used to use a breadmaker, it's been in the shed for a while as it's prettty big and the kitchen is quite small. There's nothing like waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread wafting from the kitchen, knowing that it's taken you about 5 mintues to shove all the ingredients into the night before and that's it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Making your own starter isn't actually all that hard. I gave it a go about this time last year - and haven't bought a loaf since. I just bake every second or third weekend and freeze portions of it.

Start with 100g flour and 100g water (weigh the water!) and mix them together in a glass/plastic container. Leave it covered (not too tightly) in a warmish place for 24 hours. Throw away half of it and top it up with 50g flour and 50g water for another 24 hours. Then start doing it every 12 hours. By the end of a week, you should have bubbles forming in it and it should smell slightly yeasty and a tad sour. Give it 10 days of feeding before you use it. Once it's bubbling nicely, you can feed it up to the amount you need in the recipe, keep about 25g reserve, feed the reserve with 25g flour/water - and bung it in the fridge until the night before you need it next time.

The only problem with the stuff in a breadmaker is that it's not that dissimilar from the Chorleywood process so you're not getting the benefit of the longer fermentation.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    jimmypippa - do you use Doves Farm normal flour or does it say 'Strong' on the pack - both white and wholemeal.

Strong White and Strong Wholemeal.

Both Organic Stoneground.

Low-pressure milling (of which stonegrinding is a subset) also seems to work well.
  • Why did the baker have brown hands?

He kneaded a poo.

:roll:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    + 1 for the Panasonic breadmaker

+ 1 for 50/50 mix of wholemeal and white

+ 1 for naans

+ 1 for pizza dough (particularly good when cooked using a pizza stone)

We buy our flour from a mill near Oxford in 25kg sacks. Works out crazy cheap. Tried using chopped dates in the seed dispenser, but they went all sticky in the steam and didn't come out.

Nothing like getting up in the morning to the smell (and taste) of fresh bread.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    mmmm, my bread maker has been sitting unused in the attic for the last two years. Might get it out now and have another go.

Not before I've eaten my sandwich though...
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Gussio wrote:
    + 1 for the Panasonic breadmaker

+ 1 for 50/50 mix of wholemeal and white

+ 1 for naans

+ 1 for pizza dough (particularly good when cooked using a pizza stone)

We buy our flour from a mill near Oxford in 25kg sacks. Works out crazy cheap. Tried using chopped dates in the seed dispenser, but they went all sticky in the steam and didn't come out.

Nothing like getting up in the morning to the smell (and taste) of fresh bread.

I never tried using the dispenser, but I have done the flour with seeds in it - used it like normal flour and all was fine. Made me think whether you really need the nut dispenser. :P
  • Get a bag of flour and work those muscles kneeding it!