Pope Visit - Road Closures

RufusA
RufusA Posts: 500
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Just as a heads up, there are going to be a few road closures in London tomorrow afternoon (Fri 17th Sept) for the Papal visit:

Map of affected area:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/london/pdf/p ... friday.pdf

More detail of what's likely to be closed when:

http://www.met.police.uk/events/index.htm#sept17

Rufus.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Glad I'm not in The City anymore. There are going to be lots of cyclists standing at the side of the road looking at google maps on their phones.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Glad I'm not in The City anymore. There are going to be lots of cyclists standing at the side of the road looking at google maps on their phones.

Fancy swapping jobs for the day?

It's looking like south of the river.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cheers Rufus, just what I was looking for :-) Looks like I'll be tearing up The Mall and VBR this evening......the road closures *just* miss covering Trafalgar Square so looks like I'm in luck :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Fancy swapping jobs for the day?

Yeah, ok. I've got a four hour session over lunch with Toilet & Douche where they are going to teach my granny how to suck eggs.

'Tell me, exactly how many projects have you actually delivered from end-to-end?'

'That's what I thought'
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I thought everyone on this forum was so thrilled to ride their bike they'd be delighted to have to go out of their way!
  • biondino wrote:
    I thought everyone on this forum was so thrilled to ride their bike they'd be delighted to have to go out of their way!

Well yes but when his Pontifness dares close our Holy Ground it's another matter.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Maybe the God of SCR will send him a divine warning in the form of an extra strong Millbank Wall of Wind...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Maybe the God of SCR will send him a divine warning in the form of an extra strong Millbank Wall of Wind...

I wonder how stable the Popemobile is in a sidewind?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:

Not if it means going south of the river any earlier than strictly necessary <shudder>.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Had a load of road closures in Edinburgh yesterday and it made the journey to and from work a complete and utter ....................................................... breeze !!!

Traffic was much quieter as everyone just seemed to avaiod the city!!
    exercise.png
  • Phate wrote:
    Had a load of road closures in Edinburgh yesterday and it made the journey to and from work a complete and utter ....................................................... breeze !!!

Maybe all the bad drivers are Catholic ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Phate wrote:

It was like that down here this morning. Fingers crossed we get a clear road for a TT up the Mall.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    This morning Wandsworth Road was quiet and Larkhall Rise was congested, so it looks like the motors are trying to avoid Vauxhall.

So on my way home, do I go down Larkhall Rise (usually empty) at 50kph as usual, or do I divert onto Wandsworth Road (flat and usually busy)?

(I live in Vauxhall and commute out into Surrey).
    Well, after a detour over W'minster B. then double-backing on Alb. E. after seeing traffic on Millbank, Millbank was open. Hurrah! Traffic was pants from AB onwards. I now know why I don't go along the south bank, though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • How about a thread for getting around the Great North Run for us Northern Munkeys?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    How about a thread for getting around the Great North Run for us Northern Munkeys?

Are you not capable of starting a thread yourself then?

Typical thick northern monkeys, expecting southerners to give them everything on a plate :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    spen666 wrote:
    How about a thread for getting around the Great North Run for us Northern Munkeys?

Are you not capable of starting a thread yourself then?

Typical thick northern monkeys, expecting southerners to give them everything on a plate :twisted:

erm... typical rude southerner response ?

:wink: