Your smelliest cycle item?

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm either going to kettle the gloves or boil them in a pot, vinegar will be used. I really don't want to run vinegar through my washing machine.
    quote]
    Vinegar through the washing machine is fine, loads of people do it as cheap fabric softner. The eye watering/coughing stops almost immediately you open the door.

Try washing soda cyrstals. It's situated quite close to the star drops.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Soda crystals, check!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Cat's pee - exactly. The smell I'm talking about is slightly ammonia like. Is this what you guys are referring to as well?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Same gloves as DDD and they do stink after a few days. Once forgot to bring a spare pair of padded underpants for a next-day return trip, so had put on the ones from the morning ride that had been marinating in a plastic bag since the day before - that was seriously whiffy.
  • DonDaddyD
    SimonAH wrote:
    Cat's pee - exactly. The smell I'm talking about is slightly ammonia like. Is this what you guys are referring to as well?

Dude, no!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH wrote:

Not really, although people may smell things differently. I've got an incontinent cat and the smell still brings a tear to my eye. Whiffy sports gear is more musty I'd say.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I have recently discovered Milton fabric cleaner. It's anti bacterial and fungicidal and safe on cycle clothing. Found it in Tescos in the baby section. It works a treat.
    It sounds like you stinkers should give it a try :lol:
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    For me, shoes. When they get rained on, they ming, bigtime. Not so much the insides, even. The outsides more.

It's a really most unpleasant smell.

+1, what is the deal with that? You can wear them day in day out and they're fine, one spell of rain and they reek. It goes away, washing the insoles helps, but why only when it rains?

I've worked out what the problem is with my shoes.

You borrowed them and made them smelly.

Not fair. Really, really not fair. :cry:

:lol::lol:

I also cracked your seat tube, remember?

I'm only just getting started...

:twisted:
  • DonDaddyD

There was a time I wished you cracked my seat tube.... :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Then you'd need to wash it in surgical spirit. It won't sting much.
  • DonDaddyD
    What my seat tube when Lits has cracked it or are we talking clothing?

:shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    For me, shoes. When they get rained on, they ming, bigtime. Not so much the insides, even. The outsides more.

+1, what is the deal with that? You can wear them day in day out and they're fine, one spell of rain and they reek. It goes away, washing the insoles helps, but why only when it rains?

You bloody did, too! I'd forgotten about that. :x

<mutter> I bet it was you that made my chain snap last week as well...</mutter>
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The former.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

You bloody did, too! I'd forgotten about that. :x

<mutter> I bet it was you that made my chain snap last week as well...</mutter>

:demoniccackling:

• DonDaddyD wrote:

There was a time I wished you cracked my seat tube.... :oops:

Dude, what does that even mean?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    I don't even know.

Sounded good at the time...
    Food Chain number = 4

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Tip for shoes...get some bloody good overshoes to stop 'em getting wet - problem solved.

Gloves do ming a bit after a few days - in the wash a couple of times a week. Have the odd base layer that get's whiffy more than others - although using bamboo base layers at the moment and they are good - downside is they take an age to dry.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Tip for shoes...get some bloody good overshoes to stop 'em getting wet - problem solved.

Gloves do ming a bit after a few days - in the wash a couple of times a week. Have the odd base layer that get's whiffy more than others - although using bamboo base layers at the moment and they are good - downside is they take an age to dry.
  • Aidy wrote:
    I thought sticking the offending items in the freezer killed off the bacteria?

Won't kill them - but will stop further growth.

Didn't you pay attention in GCSE Biology? :)

GCSE? Way after my time.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Helmet would be the worst offender because it never gets washed. Maybe I could remove the internal padding and run it through the washing machine... worth a go I guess. Failing that just buy new padding. Gloves used to be a problem but since I got a new pair and wash them every week it seems to keep the stench at bay.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Wait till everyone's gone out and stick em in the kettle with some detergent.

So glad I'm not your housemate. What else do you get up to when 'everyone's gone out'

Actually don't answer that.

@DDD just take 'em off before wiping, yeah?