gripshift upgrade

southbeds
southbeds Posts: 30
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
hi all . this is my first post, so hear goes ,i would like to change the gripshift on my old SACHS to some 8s shimono with a seperate deore brake lever to match the front and rear mech ,as i am new to this is this the way to go or am i missing something, tony

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You need a new rear mech, as Sachs (now SRAM) pull a different amount of cable, but otherwise that's no problem, or you could buy some SRAM trigger shifters.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    edited November 2010
    Tony, welcome to the forum
    It will be easier for people to offer advice if you provide more details . . . such as

make and model of your gripshifters?
    make and model of your front and rear derailleurs?
    the model Shimano trigger shifter you want to use?
    make and model of your crankset and cassette? (presume its 8-speed? might be worth going to a 9-speed as you will have a bigger selection of gear systems to choose from - there isn't that much 8s available now)
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • hi ,thanks for that , the gripshifters are sram mrx ,the front and back derailleurs are deore the shifters i was thinking about are alivio pods,the crankset is suntor not sure of the cassette but the hub is shimono,i have seen brake levers with deore name on them, the other gear option was an sti brake and shifter compo, my bike is a SACHS(lava) thats the make , dont make mtb,s anymore just small motor bikes,the german factory was bought by sram. can,t think of any thing else, tony