Alex R450 Rims - Wear Indicator

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I don't suppose that there is anyone out there with Alex R450 rims is there? I can't find a wear indicator on mine and am fairly kind of keen to know if this is because there never was one, or because I am cycling on paper thin rims :-)

I have asked the AlexRims people but I want instant gratification dammit.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    As a quick test, hold a metal ruler against the rim, to see if the braking surface is flat or slightly concave. If the latter, then investigate further with the some calipers. The wall of the rim should be at least 1mm thick.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    As a quick test, hold a metal ruler against the rim, to see if the braking surface is flat or slightly concave. If the latter, then investigate further with the some calipers. The wall of the rim should be at least 1mm thick.

Thank you. I will do that this evening I guess.

I think that there is indeed a bit of concave stuff going on.

stats say 3268 miles this year, and I would guess that there was another 2ish in the second half of last year, so I guess I could be due a change.
  • I've got those rims, I'll have a look later.
  • Zachariah wrote:
    I've got those rims, I'll have a look later.

That would be very kind, thank you
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I had Alex rims for a while.. They wore out fairly quickly and never had a wear indicator.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    I had Alex rims for a while.. They wore out fairly quickly and never had a wear indicator.

Damn...
  • I think they do. It's in the form of the central 'ring' you can (hopefully) see running the circumference of the braking surface - run your nail over it and you should feel a definite notch in the middle. If you don't, or the notch is barely noticeable, the rims are worn.
  • Zachariah wrote:
    I think they do. It's in the form of the central 'ring' you can (hopefully) see running the circumference of the braking surface - run your nail over it and you should feel a definite notch in the middle. If you don't, or the notch is barely noticeable, the rims are worn.

new rims it is then :-)

I'll have an actual measure at the weekend.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My ace-19 rims have the same wear ring.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    My Alex Rims R390s lasted 6 months from new before becoming so warped that they were BER.
  • hstiles wrote:
    My Alex Rims R390s lasted 6 months from new before becoming so warped that they were BER.

I have actually been very impressed with mine. Been on for a year or so and ridden through all weathers. I am the best part of 100kg and they have remained very true.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Perhaps they have a dimple machined on the inside of the rim, meaning that when the rims are worn you see a small hole appear?

Dunno if this is the case, but I've heard that is what some manufacturers do.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • hstiles
    WesternWay wrote:
    hstiles wrote:

I have actually been very impressed with mine. Been on for a year or so and ridden through all weathers. I am the best part of 100kg and they have remained very true.

Maybe I'm blessed with the ability to destroy bicycles without crashign them. I've gotten through two frames and a set of wheels this year.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    WTF are you doing to them?

2 frames and a wheelset with no crashes?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • hstiles
    I've asked myself the same question. At least 3 times.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I had a set of DA22 rims with the groove indicator. Lasted about 3k before needing to be replaced.

Now have a set of Shimano RS20 which for the money seem a lot better. Done another 3k on them and not had to true them once or replace them cause there warn out. (now watch me end a rim on the way home)