Waterproof jacket - I have permission to buy a new one!

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

Any advice or decent waterproof cycling jackets that youuse or have seen about?

Must be:

Waterproof
Breathable
Red/Black or anything other then flouro yellow

Around the £60-£70 mark?

Also looking for shorts - 3/4 length, waterproof - kinda like Rapha "fixed" shorts - anyone know of anything or any websites?

G

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Altura Night Vision or the Evo have always had good reviews. Get it from Evans in town and do a pricematch.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Night Vision is really boil in the bag but can come in black... I have the DHB eVent which was on offer for £80 ish when I got it through Wiggle... black, lightweight and breathable. I've been using it for walks as well as cycling
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Montane Atomic DT 2.0 for the jacket.

Meets all of your requirements I think. Mines pretty darn awesome 8)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The Night Vision is really boil in the bag but can come in black... I have the DHB eVent which was on offer for £80 ish when I got it through Wiggle... black, lightweight and breathable. I've been using it for walks as well as cycling

I use mine for the colder months and its fine. I wouldn't recommend it until the temp drops below about 12 degrees but you can say the same for pretty much any waterproof jacket. If its warm, MTFU and wear a quick drying T-shirt. If its cold you won't need to worry about BITB
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Night Vision is really boil in the bag but can come in black... I have the DHB eVent which was on offer for £80 ish when I got it through Wiggle... black, lightweight and breathable. I've been using it for walks as well as cycling

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_W ... 360037016/

30% off at the moment and available in black or red.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    edited September 2010
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I use mine for the colder months and its fine. I wouldn't recommend it until the temp drops below about 12 degrees but you can say the same for pretty much any waterproof jacket. If its warm, MTFU and wear a quick drying T-shirt. If its cold you won't need to worry about BITB

This, but I give out a bit more heat, so I'd say more like 6-8˚C before it's cold enough to wear. Have also used mine for walking, especially if that walking is on dark country lanes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sorry, just to clarify: the Nightvision is an excellent jacket (I own one and really appreciate it!) but IMHO it's for colder days only.

The eVent is lighter weight and better suited for every day cycling. The water beading on it looks dead good as well 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gtvlusso
    On cold days, I generally double up on my tee shirts......I don't want to be buying 2 jackets and all that jazz.

Lived on Soul Cal hoodies, running shorts and my 10 year old flouro jacket for a while now! I need some proper winter kit as I froze my ass off last winter.

How much stuff should I buy?

Are water resistant 3/4 shorts worth it?
  • If it's WINTER riding - then get the NightVision - I had that and a wicking top and that was all for my torso. I was plenty warm enough, even down to -5.

(had to get the thinsulate gloves, tights, overshoes (got some winter boots waiting for me now) buff and good socks for the rest of me, but the jacket did for my torso just fine
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    gtvlusso wrote:

Don't know about the water resistant bit but 3/4 are good for keeping the wind off of your knees, on the cold days add some fleece tights and you've got a great combination. Seen me through 2 winters so far!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    +1 on the Night Vision. I got one earlier this year and only wear it when its proper brass monkeys weather otherwise, like previous posters say, it all gets a bit waaaaarm. Red one looks good though.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I rarely wear a jacket in winter. If it's very cold then I have a base, L/S double layer jersey and a gilet up top with roubaix tights. Anything else and I get far too hot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Don't know about the water resistant bit but 3/4 are good for keeping the wind off of your knees, on the cold days add some fleece tights and you've got a great combination. Seen me through 2 winters so far!

I think swrve do some water resistant ones
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso
    Any advice on sizing - my current very old Altura jacket is: L

Do the trousers/shorts come up small or anything? Buying from t'interweb as I have found the kit cheap!

I have worn out all my old kit now, so, I will be buying new roubaix tights and so on over the coming months!

Best part of £200 worth of clothing, but hopefully will keep me trucking in some comfort through the miserable winter.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    At your pricepoint, got one of these off an ebay shop altura crosslite

reviewed on BR.

Other reccomendations on this thread were also made to me when I was searching, all good stuff, reviewed well, but unless you find them on sale, waaaaay over budget.
  • I bought a Polaris Tungsten jacket the other day and am very impressed with it. only paid £30 inc p&p.
  • wiggle have the eVent DHB in the sale at the mo for £84

us0.png
  • PBo
    FeynmanC wrote:
    wiggle have the eVent DHB in the sale at the mo for £84

I might have stretched to that, instead of my crosslite 'cos event is supposed to be very breathable.....but didn't want black.
  • PBo
    I bought a Polaris Tungsten jacket the other day and am very impressed with it. only paid £30 inc p&p.

I've found Polaris lagging in the breathability stakes - but I'm at the top end of the sweaty scale........

To be honest though, I've even read reviews of £200 plus jackets, where someone comments "don't buy this, you'll boil in the bag!!!!"
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Hi All,

Any advice or decent waterproof cycling jackets that youuse or have seen about?

Must be:

Waterproof
    Breathable

Sorry dude, either Waterproof or Breatheable, gonna be tough to find both.

Knickers
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    No shorts suggested yet? pa! :)

Try Altura Attack. They come in standard and 3/4 styles.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s_1514.htm

Endura superlites are meant to be ok, and dhb do some too.

I might be investing in some Altura ones soon myself :)