cows chasing me !

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited September 2010 in MTB general
so I got chased by cows as I walked through their field the other week !

Comments

• I always speak to them firmly so they are not surprised when i get close and a slow down near them.

Yes I am a crazy cow talker

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's because they don't like walkers. If you'd have been on a bike, you'd be fine.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I throw small chuck norris figurines at them, that stops them attacking, either that or they just can't be bothered with the idiot interupting their routine
  • You should have stopped and punched it in the face!

Don't be taking no shlt from no stinkin' cows. fcukers!
  • You should have stopped and punched it in the face!

Don't be taking no shlt from no stinkin' cows. fcukers!

this. a good fisting
  • That's because they don't like Walkers. If you'd have been a Kettle Chip, you'd be fine.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Cows are very inquisitive animals and the worst thing you can do is walk or run away.
  • and the best thing you can do is disco dance in front of them
  • I had my way blocked by cows the other day, was making my way along a bridleway through a field, where there was a gap in the fence seperating two fields alll the cow were having a sit down, including their young ones. As I carefully approached I could see they were'nt going to budge anywhere. Cows are dangerous with their young so had to hack my way through some hedgerow to get round them.
  • .blitz wrote:
    Cows are very inquisitive animals and the worst thing you can do is walk or run away.

I would agree unless they are charging at you. I think a lot of cow incidents have involved dogs as well

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I've had 3 cow/cattle run ins so far this year.

Walking with the family, a group of cows with young and a bull were blocking a path in a gulley through a wood. They got pretty aggressive and we had to climb up a bank to get past them. Our 6 yr old son was pretty freaked out.

Riding with a mate several cows were on a bridge on a bridleway we decided to cross the stream further down but they still got aggro and we had to throw our bikes over a fence and bail.

Also got trapped in the corner of a field by bullocks on another bridleway. I'd stuck to the edge of the field to avoid them but they all ran across the field and were trying to kick me and butt me. There was no way out of the field as it was surrounded by thick thorny bushes so I had to work my way through them swinging my bike as a weapon and shouting until I was able to get to the gate.

I fecking hate cattle!!!
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    I was once walking through a cow field and was surrounded by them. Had to walk very steady through them. Scary really.

They also started chewing my grips a licking my hands! Tounges like sandpaper man!
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    saw some dog walkers being chased by a big heard of cows in a field which was funny hehe :lol: the cows charged them after seeing their dogs i think, dunno what happened to the walkers as they ran off screaming into the woods. if there are cows in my way i usually say excuse me miss outta the way! and never have a prob with them.

sheep seem to hate me, they always give chase baaaaah!
  • Living on a farm and having worked with cattle posts like these always make me chuckle :lol:

If a group of cows see you they will almost always come over to have a look at you to see if you are a threat or not, if you walk away as they approach they will follow you. The faster you move away the faster they will follow. As a child living on a farm we would play a game of chicken by laying down in a field of cows and see who sat up the first as the cows run over.

Cows with young can be unpredictable but generaly only if the calf is very young and you come between the calf and the cow.

Bulls are a different issue altogether but should not be kept on a field with footpath or bridleway without a warning sign. Again they are generally fine but if they do take a dislike to you then you could be in trouble, certain breeds are worse than others too, generally a dairy breed (black and white or jersey) are more aggressive than a beef breed.

In my own experience just standing up to the animal and dominating it will stop any bad behaviour, even if it is being aggressive. If it is being aggressive do not turn your back on it though. You do need to be confident around animals to do this though.

I c
  • Anonymous
    Jenks66 wrote:
    In my own experience just standing up to the animal and dominating it will stop any bad behaviour, even if it is being aggressive. If it is being aggressive do not turn your back on it though. You do need to be confident around animals to do this though.
    Yep. Like you, I grew up playing on farms. They were farms my friends lived on in my case though.
    It's funny when somebody freaks out and starts panicking, since all it really does is draw the cows' attention :lol:
  • The best course of action I can suggest is to make some noise as you cross the field so the cows are aware your there, dont shout but chatting with your mates or just speaking to the cows will avoid them being taken by supprise. A hope hub freeweeling may be enough.
    Dont rush race across the field as you are more likely to cause the cows to be startled.
    If your worried carry a stick to defend yourself with or use something to extend your reach e.g. hold you hydration pack in you hand so if you are feeling threatened and they are getting close you can swing that at them if they get that close.
    if being chased drop your bike or hydration pack as they will probably stop to check this out better a mangled £4000 bike than you.
    If you have a dog let it go it can run faster than you and cows are more likely to chase it than you.
    At coledge when working with the bull beef we were told to carry a stick with us at all times and defend ourselves vigoursly if needed, we also had to work in pairs with one person always outside the pen. This is not a situation you sould ever come across out on the trails.
  • Anonymous
    Jenks66 wrote:
    if being chased drop your bike or hydration pack as they will probably stop to check this out better a mangled £4000 bike than you.
    What a load of crap, I can heal of my own accord, my bike can't.

I've never known cows to be aggressive, unless as has been said, they have young with them, or if it's a particularly mental bull.
    Most of the time they just seem to think you're there to feed them.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lol only trouble i ever get is with sheep dogs

sheep and cattle run from me, to be fair my visage does not suggest VEGETARIAN one lil bit :twisted:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Get a mate to ride with you, and make him wear red.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    What a load of crap
    Would that be bull crap?

(I'll fetch my coat :D).
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    Glad I ain't the one with stories full of BULL !

Thanks for all the advice ... someone told me that they were interested in the rotation of the wheels ? !!

Once I had hurled myself over the gate and freedom they just sniffed at the bike at it lay the wrong side of the fence ... just wondered what they were thinking when they started sniffing at the seat !

Granted I should have made noises ... nex time will def carry a weapon or use the hydration pack for self defence .
  • Hmm I hate cows :(
    Jenks66 wrote:
    Dont rush race across the field as you are more likely to cause the cows to be startled.

This could be where I'm going wrong!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    hoochylala wrote:
    Hmm I hate cows :(

But they're so delicious!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BGM
    BGM Posts: 9
    I was near Edale the other day on a marked Bridleway which ran through a narrow field. In said field there were a bunch of cows (with their young) and rather large Bull. I dont mind cows, although I can imagine they might be unpredictable if they're with their young, but the Bull I wasn't happy with walking past. Cue long boggy route around and then through a field full of more docile sheep. I was probably being a bit of a pussy but im not really sure how to deal with Bulls. And he was a big lad to be fair. Was a bit suprised that it was on a marked public path as opposed to a fenced off field.
  • Beef bulls are allowed if there are cows there as they are more docile then, think there should be a sign up warning you there is a bull in the field (not sure on this one) but there may have been one there but they often get pulled down.
    Should normally be OK as long as you keep your eye on them if unsure push the bike as they are used to seeing humans walking but not cycling.

You do need to be very sure of yourself to face a bull down but it is possible (please dont try it unless you know you can dominate the animal or your going to get hurt) and never turn your back on it if its acting agressivly a tonne of muscle can do a lot of damage but you generaly get plenty of warning all is not good. Signs of agressive behaviour are bellowing and pawing the ground if you see this get out of the way ASAP

If all else fails make sure you move faster than your mates atleast you wont get hurt then! LOL
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I read this thread during a business meeting where I couldn't be bothered to listen to what the guy was going on and on about. About in the middle of it I couldn't control myself any longer and burst out laughing and had to leave the room lol.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Just be thankful you're not this guy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11380834

Cows love lettuce!