Northshore Free ride on 100mm?

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Got a chance to try this for the first time tomorrow at Haldon Forest in Exeter. Would i be a fool to try it with a 100mm FS bike? Really want to try it but dont wanna kill the bike!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If an XC bike, then you do risk causing a lot of damage with heavy landings.
  • Eyon
    yeah its an Anthem. Looks like i best not try it if i want the bike to stay in 1 bit!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Don't know the trail, how high is the woodwork?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i think there is a xc trail of sorts as well there isn't there?
  • Trail only opens on Sunday if its the new bits you are intending to ride- we havent been there for a few weeks and hadn't even spotted any Northshore being built!- just a bit of 'skills track'.

Most of the new stuff they have been doing has been as 'blue family trail'- so I am getting more excited now!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • ermmm...there's no Northshore up Haldon I'm afraid. Unless someone has built some unofficial stuff deep in the woods in the last few days. There was some a few years ago but a storm kindly took that apart.

And to be honest you could ride what Haldon does have to offer on a fully rigid (even the red Ridge run). As 'Kat has said it's very family orientated now. The new build areas are a pump track and a skills area and they are due to open this Sunday.
  • Eyon
    yeah i realised that there isnt any there when i got there, duhhhh. I was reading trail reviews from a few years back and they said they had some stuff there, with the spiral staircase thing and all that, looked awesome to try. Got there and it had all gone, so spent the afternoon on the red route.

Never mind, ill find some somewhere to crash off :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    supersonic wrote:
    If an XC bike, then you do risk causing a lot of damage with heavy landings.

would the route through Ashton Court be too much for my 100mm anthem?

I know that's probably a very odd question but I remember on the bikefest being scared witless by some bits of the course but I was very inexperienced in both 'proper' off roading and with the bike.

I'm back for the octoberfest and don't want to damage my pride and joy, basically.

no problem if you can't answer, odd question I know.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I ride everything on a basic hardtail with 100mm forks (basic coil and oil).
    Sometimes I even use an old rigid with a flexstem.

I obviously don't do big jumps or dropoffs (prefer my wheels on the ground because I am a coward anyway) and have been down the black run at Afan.
    Most evil bits of any trail can be rolled or bypassed.

Just ride according to your and the bike's ability, and have fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools