Freehub body undoing its self

JonS123
JonS123 Posts: 171
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Coming home heard some horific creaking from my bike, though at first I assumed it would be either seatpost/cranks/pedals needing some greasing (I have somehow managed to cycle through heavy rain 3 days on the trot), but after getting home and greasing all of them, and a test ride it was still there, even when I was freewheeling. so got home took off wheels, removed cones to get access to bearings, leave a nice oil pasted hand print on the lounge carpet (WD40 then fairy liquid then a wipe with a damp cloth works well) I find the nut that hold the freehub body to the hub has come undone.

How/why?? while the cassette had obviously got wet with the amount of grime on it, the bearings and grease for them was clean and fine. I have never had a reason to undo the freehub on the current wheel and its done the best part of 4000 miles with no problems.

To add, do I need to grease the thread of the nut (well whatever its called, its a shimano freehub with the 10mm allenkey type nut thing to attach it to the hub) when putting it back to gether

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ah shimano body.

its a bolt :wink:

strange as they are normally a pig to undo.

just re-tighten it really tight.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Self-tightens when pedalling, self-loosens when freewheeling? Morale of the story, don't freewheel!

+1 nicklouse - really are "a pig to undo"
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    it gets stranger, the little bolt that holds the larger rings of the cassette together has also self come undone, I seam to have found a undoing fairy on my bike