epic new zealand trip

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
mate has suggested cycling from the tip of north island to the bottom of south island,

it looks about 2.5K KM

has anyone heard of anyone doing this ? is this a common trip like JOG to LE in the UK ?

any help appreciated

Cheers

Neil

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    No idea.. been to NZ. Prepare to be smitten forever. It is a wonderful place :)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • I haven't got any advice to offer other than, if the opportunity is there, do it! Amazing country and I can imagine the cycling is utterly superb - if a little hilly :D
  • +1 to both the above.

West coast south island can be wet and windy plus you might get eaten by sandflies so prepare well! On South island its almost one way down, one way up but if you head in to picton on the ferry, make sure you take in all of Abel Tasman National Park and the Queen Charlotte Sound. Head past Kaikoura and look for Whales, visit Christchurch then Dunedin, cross to Queenstown where everyone has springs and nobbly tires on their bikes and up to Franz Josef Glacier. All amazing stuff and i havn't even started on the North Island!
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    Wonderful place. Be prepared for long legs between towns when on the western coast.
    Scenery fantastic, just take a good waterproof although when we went it only rained 1 day in 28! (March 2009)
    Chris
  • have a look at our blog www.hillgurney.blogspot .com

we did 6 months in NZ but not the direct north to south although some people we met did

i would suggest not doing cape reinga by bike 150k of rough road and bnot very exciting scenery

loads of other fantastic rides though feel free to pm for more info

nick

also pick up peddlars paradise by ? rushton
    Cheers

Nick

Its not a vest its a base layer!!
  • definitely do-able. A guy I ride with rode Bluff to Cape Reinga over a few weeks (with a support van). And the road is now sealed all the way to the top - so make the effort to get to the Cape, otherwise you're missing out on the bragging rights!! (not to mention adding the signpost photo to the collection - there is a similar one in Bluff) A number of kiwis ride this for charity, and there is a really good event Wellington-Auckland which, timed ride you could participate in (if that's your thing...) 7 day event
    http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/blufft ... orhospice/
    http://wellingtontoauckland.co.nz/defau ... geID=18819

there's plenty of clubs/groups that you could hook up wiht too if you want the local run down...