unsteady at speed

stemacca
stemacca Posts: 75
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have a Scott Aspect 45 2010 model and since I have had it I have found that going round roads at high speed proves a bit twitchy on the front end of my bike.

The headset and everything seems fine with no unusual movement

Would a riser bar help to fix this? or any other ideas are very welcome as it's a good bike apart from this and a few cheap components.

Thanks in advance for the help

Steven

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A longer fork and wider bar will help stability.
  • That's immense thank you. Think my max is 120mm for forks would that be enough?
  • Depends on what you've got atm - and the difference.

You could always slow down and get off road and do some technical stuff :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    it depends on the crown-axle length of the fork too. If it is front end grip that is lacking though, getting your weight further forward will help - but twitchiness you usually want to slow things down with a slacker head angle.
  • i have suntour xcr 100m's and my bar is Scott Aspect OS 620mm, black, 31,8mm 20mm rise 8°.

I am due to do some off roading soon but the majority is riding roads at the moment.

I'm gonna add some better road tyres aswell.

really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Ste
  • I would have thought a wider bar would reduce stability,
    surely it magnifies any movements you make.
    Also ensure head race is not too tight.

You could try moving the centre of gravity i.e. moving your bodyweight forward with bar and saddle adjustments. Your weight is the majority of the ensemble so small movements relative to the machine can have a large effect. Try riding a bike whilst sitting on the rack to really get a wobble on :shock: :shock:
  • simpo1961 wrote:
    I would have thought a wider bar would reduce stability,
    surely it magnifies any movements you make.
    Also ensure head race is not too tight.

You could try moving the centre of gravity i.e. moving your bodyweight forward with bar and saddle adjustments. Your weight is the majority of the ensemble so small movements relative to the machine can have a large effect. Try riding a bike whilst sitting on the rack to really get a wobble on :shock: :shock:

Just think how hard it would be to control if your bars were the length of say a pencil, then think how much better they are at a 'normal length' - wider is easier.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)