Tyre Weight - Kenda Nevegals

Proutster
Proutster Posts: 785
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Anyone any idea how much the stock Kenda Nevegals on my Giant Trance X4 weigh?

They are 26 x 2.1" with a Stick-E on the front and a DTC on the rear, on the tyre label it says "Wire Bead, 60tpi"

I've searched on the interweb and can't find out and I can't be arsed to take them off to weigh them :lol: - but was wondering how much weight I'd save by swapping them for the folding versions (on the Kenda website is states weights of 680g for the folding Stick-E and 630g for the folding DTC).

Last question - would the weight difference be noticeable when riding?

Comments

• how do you find them btw?
  • If you don't mind I'll only answer once :D

I think they're pretty good, grip in both dry and wet is good - was out with a mate on Monday and his Continental Speed Kings were slipping all over the place on both uphills and downhills (tree roots, smooth mud and then loose chalk) but the Kendas were rock solid.

On my old bike I had Panaracer XC Pros and the Kendas make a little bit more noise on road sections but grip is better.

Overall I'd recommend them, I was just wondering if I could keep the grip and save a bit of weight.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    edited September 2010
    Just weighed my quite worn 2.35 stick-e and its 826g. I swapped it for a folding 2.35 dtc which is much faster rolling, much lighter, yet still gives me all the grip I need in the corners. The 2.1's are going to be slightly lighter, though no idea how much.

I'd recommend the dtc up front then something lighter/faster rolling like an advantage or ignitor out back.

EDIT: My stick-e is wire bead. Just weighed my spare folding dtc and it is 736g (the one with the shiny sidewalls so is probably heavier than the standard one,) which is surprisingly heavy really! Much faster rolling than the stick-e though, and will last much longer as is a harder compound in the central tread.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The wire ones are probably heavier, but also the compound isn't the same, much less grippy.

2.35 stick-e is a pretty serious tyre, 2.1 stick-e is a better allround front tyre than the 2.35 DTC though... Better grip on roots etc.
    Uncompromising extremist