best route Staines to The Mall - early morning Sunday 26th

bumpitybump
bumpitybump Posts: 76
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Have my start time through for the Palace to Palace Bike ride and its a 7am set-off from The Mall in central london on Sunday 26th September.

What would be a good route to cycle to The Mall from Staines? I don't know central london very well so a 'good route' for me is one that is easy to follow. Assuming I leave from Staines at 05:30 traffic shouldn't be a problem!

Any suggestions?
exercise.png
FCN = 8

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Get on the A4 and follow it - couldn't be simpler (but could probably be shorter). Hit Picadilly Circus, down Haymarket, down Cockspiur St, through Admiralty Arch and you're there.

BTW, start times for the P2P seem to be only a guide - they are not checked. Just rock up at the start gates, get scanned and off you go.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I pretty much ride this every day, twice a day. I would go down the A30 from Staines and head onto the A315 but depends what the event is and whether the preference is safety or speed. It takes me on average 5-10 minutes more down the A315. Stick with the A4 where I turn off down Earls Court I think..

Commute:
    commute.jpg
  • thanks for the replies Ipete and Monkeypump, looks like I have easy to follow main routes in.

can either of you give me a feel for how much time I should allow for the ride in? My average riding speed ( ignoring stops and starts ) is 14 mph. I don't have much of an idea if this route will have lots of traffic lights and enforced stops on it or not.

cheers!

PS

thanks for the tip about the organisers not being that fussed about start times - some of the guys I'm with are relying on public transport so not guaranteed to be at the start at their alloted time.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Plenty of lights down the a315, won't be much traffic at that time and it has a fairly good set of on the road cycle lanes.

Takes me 1 hour 10 to do my 17 mile stretch with all the stopping and starting. I'd give it from Staines about 1 hour 45 to 2 hours at a more leisurely pace and allowing for getting lost.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'd go with iPete and say a couple of hours.

The whole event is pretty laid back - it's a fun ride after all, not anything competitive. We panicked the first time we did it as were late, but since then have just got in on the earliest train we can (the group is mixed ability, so riding in isn't an option) and it's been fine.