Black cab driver on the phone .....

pastasauce
pastasauce Posts: 221
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
It annoyed me as they're meant to be professional drivers.

Anyhow, there was a link on here sometime ago about reporting them for a clip round the ear ......

Just so he knows he was spotted !

:D

Anyone got it still ?

Ta

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Followed an AA van doing the same yesterday - he sat waiting at a green light, before realising it had changed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    The Police are unlikely to act against a cabbie. I'm not sure what the arrangement is - whether it's the Masons, a 'gentleman's' agreement, or just plain, old-fashioned corruption (the Met were always very good at that).

And, though I use it a lot, I doubt that the Roadsafe website ever leads to anything more than a letter to the person concerned. For more serious offences, I have offered to give a full witness statement, but have never been contacted.
    Riding on 531
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Clarion wrote:
    The Police are unlikely to act against a cabbie. I'm not sure what the arrangement is - whether it's the Masons, a 'gentleman's' agreement, or just plain, old-fashioned corruption (the Met were always very good at that).

And, though I use it a lot, I doubt that the Roadsafe website ever leads to anything more than a letter to the person concerned. For more serious offences, I have offered to give a full witness statement, but have never been contacted.

However a letter to the taxi licensing authority and cab company usually ends in a flea in his ear!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cee wrote:
    However a letter to the taxi licensing authority and cab company usually ends in a flea in his ear!
    I'm not convinced. I complained to the LTA after being intentionally rear-ended, twice, by a cabbie who objected to me taking primary (I was travelling at the same speed as the car in front). The LTA sent me a stock reply to the effect that their complaints procedure was only intended for use by dissatisfied customers, and I should take up any allegations of dangerous driving with the police.

I had to take a black cab this morning, and the driver spent almost the entire 45 mins on the phone, arranging fares for friends/colleagues. To be fair, he had a hands free earpiece thing, and it didn't seem to affect his driving, so I wasn't really bothered. It was infinitely preferable to discussing Daily Mail politics at 6am...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Black cabs have got to be up there with minicab drivers as some of the worst drivers on the road... Well perhaps a little better than minicabs. I have almost been taken down by a cabbie suddenly swinging either right across the road, doing a U turn, or simply pulling hard over in front of me, to pick up a fare a few times. Yesterday evening I was almost clipped on the side by a cabbie trying to squeeze his cab between me and a central reservation area on Holborn in a desperate attempt to get past me to.... wait in a queue of traffic at a red light, so literally 10 seconds after he had risked my life squeezing past me, I past him as he sat in traffic! I have had far, far more difficulties with cabbies than with bus drivers in the 4 years I've been riding in London.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Clarion wrote:

It general results in only a letter because that is what it's designed for. If the matter is more serious, take it to the local traffic officers.

Saying that, i almost got someone prosecuted via the road safe system.
  • Just how difficult would be for car manufacturers to fit/retrofit a device that stops you using any thing other than "Bluetooth in the vehicle (Bluetooth is a big enough distraction to warrent a "SMIDSY" anytime anyway)
  • bearfraser wrote:
    Just how difficult would be for car manufacturers to fit/retrofit a device that stops you using any thing other than "Bluetooth in the vehicle (Bluetooth is a big enough distraction to warrent a "SMIDSY" anytime anyway)

Might be a pain for passengers (including passengers in taxis) who might legitimately and safely want to use a phone. Not sure how you could do something which just prevented the driver from using a phone.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • bearfraser wrote:
    Just how difficult would be for car manufacturers to fit/retrofit a device that stops you using any thing other than "Bluetooth in the vehicle (Bluetooth is a big enough distraction to warrent a "SMIDSY" anytime anyway)

Jamming a mobile phone signal is illegal in the UK and why car manufacturers should be responsible if it was legal is beyond me!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I was proceeding round a roundabout last night in the car, with my 13yo daughter.

There was a huge container lorry edging out from 2nd exit from us, driver engrossed in conversation on phone. I managed to get through with 3 feet to spare.

My kids think I'm a miserable ole b'stard, but I explained that 30+ ton of uncontrolled metal is dangerous.

Wish I'd got his firms address from the livery.... :twisted:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Jamming a mobile phone signal is illegal in the UK and why car manufacturers should be responsible if it was legal is beyond me!
    A friend of a friend who occasionally has to take the train tells me that it's very satisfying to be able to"disconnect" annoying phone users at the discrete push of a button.

Apparently.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • A letter to him would be fine and I'm sure if he was reported on several occasions a picture would emerge.

Ta for the link - i'll favourite it too !
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    TGOTB wrote:
    cee wrote:
    I'm not convinced. I complained to the LTA after being intentionally rear-ended, twice, by a cabbie who objected to me taking primary (I was travelling at the same speed as the car in front). The LTA sent me a stock reply to the effect that their complaints procedure was only intended for use by dissatisfied customers, and I should take up any allegations of dangerous driving with the police.

Hmmm..thats pretty poor.

maybe its a bit different in 'that london'...but the taxi licensing board up here take complaints a lot more seriously that the response you got....

I worked as a taxi controller whilst still at Uni....so got wind of all sorts....the worst thing you could do to a cabbie was report him to the Licensing section of Edinburgh council.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    The taxi licensing board round here is very good too, but then most of the taxi drivers are very good as well.

Post above about the lorry edging out whilst the driver was on the phone: Hope you used your horn to warn him you were there?
    Steve C