Best route from kings X to waterloo?

Big Wib
Big Wib Posts: 363
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Popping through London tomorrow on my way to Leatherhead, shiny new boris bike key in hand.......

So, what's the best way of getting from the closest bike rack to Kings Cross/St Pancras (Belgrove Street I think) to either Waterloo or Vauxhall station (Vauxhall would be better as it's further :D )

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    let me introduce you . . .

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 02997&z=13

Hope this helps!
  • Big Wib
    @HamishD

Thanks, that was basically what I was looking at but was wondering if anyone knew of anything better. Will give it a go and see what happens

:lol:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    This from TfL website routefinder - with cycling option chosen - so i presume this takes you on a cycle friendly route....
  • And here's another option using londoncyclehire...

From experience, if you're not in a rush, their ''balanced route'' is usually slightly more pleasant but a wee bit longer....

http://www.londoncyclehire.org/journey/229503/
  • Big Wib
    Thanks all, I'll let you know how I get on
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    sorry - may have been facetious in first reply . . . :oops: good luck! All the routes through that part of town pretty much of a muchness in my experience though (without recourse to a map every 200m) . . .
  • Big Wib
    No problem, ended up following something similar to yours so as not to keep stopping and looking at a map.

That was much much more fun than the usual tube trip even though the bikes are incredibly spinny :lol::lol:

Lessons learned:

- The big city is warmer
    - Cycling in a suit is v. warm
    - Vauxhall is easily doable in the half hour but Waterloo makes more sense so I can go slower and therefore sweat less :oops:

Other things
    - saw lots of people on the boris bikes so obviously still popular
    - still in shock at all these people on bikes, more than I normally see in a week
    - :lol::lol:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Big Wib wrote:
    No problem, ended up following something similar to yours so as not to keep stopping and looking at a map.

That was much much more fun than the usual tube trip even though the bikes are incredibly spinny :lol::lol:

Lessons learned:

- The big city is warmer
    - Cycling in a suit is v. warm
    - Vauxhall is easily doable in the half hour but Waterloo makes more sense so I can go slower and therefore sweat less :oops:

Other things
    - saw lots of people on the boris bikes so obviously still popular
    - still in shock at all these people on bikes, more than I normally see in a week
    - :lol::lol:

But if we came up to your place we'd be shocked at all the pork pie eaters! :lol:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Of course for the full London commuiting experience you should really consider staying north of the river, going along the Embankment and crossing at Vauxhall Bridge.

The Boris bikes weigh loads and most of that is over the front wheel so good luck!
  • Big Wib
    PBo wrote:
    But if we came up to your place we'd be shocked at all the pork pie eaters! :lol:

not sure, mainly done in private between consenting people rather than on the streets :wink:

although you can of course see plenty of people for whom the question 'who ate all the pies?' is more than usually appropriate.........

(not me of course, I just ate lots of them :oops: )
  • Big Wib
    Kurako wrote:
    Of course for the full London commuiting experience you should really consider staying north of the river, going along the Embankment and crossing at Vauxhall Bridge.

The Boris bikes weigh loads and most of that is over the front wheel so good luck!

the problem with that - other than getting lost - is resisting the temptation to try and join in the SCR action. I was struggling with that yesterday but managed to resist on the grounds that a soggy suit is just not a good look

despite all the foibles, it was still good fun and I will be doing the same next time i'm down.