Pollution mask, which is best?

dkchan
dkchan Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi, I am new here. I am looking for a good pollution mask for my commuting. But it is hard to decide which one to get. Respro, Totobobo or just a regular medical mask?
I found this article :http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/pollution-masks-which-are-best/
but is wondering if there are other, well researched article to support other brands?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have this, only in winter when it's very cold though.

http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/b ... em=bally04
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Do pollution masks really make a significant difference? I was under the impression that most traffic pollution was either gaseous, or of a particle size too small for a cyclists mask to effectively remove.
  • @seataltea thanks for the link, it looks like it will keep you warm in the winter and scare away the dogs :D

@Bacteria Man I have the same thought. I commute along a busy road, feels like inhaling enough car fumes and want to put a stop to it. Effectiveness is most important, that's why I am interested in Totobobo, it seems they have medical test to support their claim: "reduce pollution by 135 folds". On the other hand Respro looks cool, I just wonder if there is similar study to support their claim about cutting down pollution.
  • I'd love the Metro 2033 effect on my daily commute. TBH unless you get a proper gas mask and suitable filters it wont do much against anything but particulates and keep your lips from chapping.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Also don't trust anything written in Engrish (135 folds: WTF) it's pure marketing and means sweet FA
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I remember several years ago reading two seperate (that appeared to be proper scientific) studies that showed riding a bike in heavy city traffic resulted in less harmful pollution inhaled than the same route travelled in a car. Not to suggest that you're breathing clean air of course but you might want to save the mask for car travel.