Team Sky WTF?????

Stu T
Stu T Posts: 127
edited September 2010 in Pro race
I've been thinking, are team SKY just Brailsford looking after his day job. He's got Wiggins and Thomas great well paid jobs between Olympics, and a lot of R & D cash.
I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    So what if he is.

You think too much...?
  • Not been too good for them this year, a combination of poor management of both the riders and the funds and a bit of bad luck. Maybe next year will be different.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I think Wigan have had more results than sky this season - Just ask brad who wanted to play in the champions league this year :D

Dont believe the Skhype
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Hope they sell the spare bikes off for dr........

I'd have one.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    What were you expecting from a brand new set up with an inexperienced management team? They are currently ranked 15th by the UCI which is pretty good really. This is akin to a newly promoted team managing to stay up in the Premiership. They haven’t set the world on fire - but haven’t embarrassed themselves either.

1 ASTANA (AST) KAZ 980
    2 RABOBANK (RAB) NED 898
    3 TEAM SAXO BANK (SAX) DEN 851
    4 TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA (THR) USA 765
    5 GARMIN - TRANSITIONS (GRM) USA 758
    6 TEAM KATUSHA (KAT) RUS 750
    7 LIQUIGAS-DOIMO (LIQ) ITA 730
    8 BMC RACING TEAM (BMC) USA 657
    9 OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO (OLO) BEL 641
    10 TEAM RADIOSHACK (RSH) USA 621
    11 CAISSE D'EPARGNE (GCE) ESP 616
    12 LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI (LAM) ITA 511
    13 CERVELO TEST TEAM (CTT) SUI 464
    14 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI (EUS) ESP 450
    15 SKY PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM (SKY) GBR 435
    16 QUICK STEP (QST) BEL 312
    17 ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SERRAMENTI PVC DIQUIGIOVANNI (AND) ITA 243
    18 BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM (BTL) FRA 227
    19 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) FRA 198
    20 COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE (COF) FRA 196
    21 FRANÇAISE DES JEUX (FDJ) FRA 144
    22 ACQUA & SAPONE - D'ANGELO & ANTENUCCI (ASA) ITA 134
    23 VACANSOLEIL PRO CYCLING TEAM (VAC) NED 130
    24 COLNAGO - CSF INOX (COG) IRL 119
    25 TEAM MILRAM (MRM) GER 118
    26 SAUR - SOJASUN (SAU) FRA 63
    27 TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - MERCATOR (TSV) BEL 63
    28 LANDBOUWKREDIET (LAN) BEL 40
    29 FOOTON-SERVETTO (FOT) ESP 37
    30 SKIL - SHIMANO (SKS) NED 16
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    What were you expecting from a brand new set up with an inexperienced management team? They are currently ranked 15th by the UCI which is pretty good really. This is akin to a newly promoted team managing to stay up in the Premiership. They haven’t set the world on fire - but haven’t embarrassed themselves either.

1 ASTANA (AST) KAZ 980
    2 RABOBANK (RAB) NED 898
    3 TEAM SAXO BANK (SAX) DEN 851
    4 TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA (THR) USA 765
    5 GARMIN - TRANSITIONS (GRM) USA 758
    6 TEAM KATUSHA (KAT) RUS 750
    7 LIQUIGAS-DOIMO (LIQ) ITA 730
    8 BMC RACING TEAM (BMC) USA 657
    9 OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO (OLO) BEL 641
    10 TEAM RADIOSHACK (RSH) USA 621
    11 CAISSE D'EPARGNE (GCE) ESP 616
    12 LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI (LAM) ITA 511
    13 CERVELO TEST TEAM (CTT) SUI 464
    14 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI (EUS) ESP 450
    15 SKY PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM (SKY) GBR 435
    16 QUICK STEP (QST) BEL 312
    17 ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SERRAMENTI PVC DIQUIGIOVANNI (AND) ITA 243
    18 BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM (BTL) FRA 227
    19 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) FRA 198
    20 COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE (COF) FRA 196
    21 FRANÇAISE DES JEUX (FDJ) FRA 144
    22 ACQUA & SAPONE - D'ANGELO & ANTENUCCI (ASA) ITA 134
    23 VACANSOLEIL PRO CYCLING TEAM (VAC) NED 130
    24 COLNAGO - CSF INOX (COG) IRL 119
    25 TEAM MILRAM (MRM) GER 118
    26 SAUR - SOJASUN (SAU) FRA 63
    27 TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - MERCATOR (TSV) BEL 63
    28 LANDBOUWKREDIET (LAN) BEL 40
    29 FOOTON-SERVETTO (FOT) ESP 37
    30 SKIL - SHIMANO (SKS) NED 16

With the money that's been thrown at it, it's more like Man City just avoiding relegation.
  • I agree - they've underperformed - where have the posters gone who were telling us at the start of the year whether we liked them or not one certainty was that they'd get plenty of wins.

When you look at that table above you have to remember that a lot of those teams haven't even had invitations to a lot of big races - if you strip it down to teams in equivalent situations Sky are in the bottom few.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Not quite - cycling isn't football; Sky has one of the biggest budgets, but unfortunately too much of it spent on an utterly underperforming GC rider, and on overhead sold as marginal gain. Looking at their budget they should be in the top-5.

An inexperienced management team is no excuse but a mistake
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Katusha aren't that hot either, despite the money spent. Whilst Pozzato and Rodriguez are doing well, it's taken time.

As FJS says, the team allowed talk of marginal gains to run away in the media, all whilst they fluffed basics like tactics and man management. It's fine to save 0.2W but that's no good if you've missed the breakaway or find other teams only to willing to do you over.
  • Compare to the first year of the Cervélo Test Team, they pulled in big results in the GT and classics with a fraction of the budget of Team Sky.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Big budget - yes. But also a lot of start-up costs?

Surprising to see QuickStep at 16th place. Just thinking of al the exposure they got during the Tour due to Pineau and Chavanel.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2010
    Pokerface wrote:
    Big budget - yes. But also a lot of start-up costs?

Surprising to see QuickStep at 16th place. Just thinking of al the exposure they got during the Tour due to Pineau and Chavanel.

Quick Step are increasingly becoming a niche team.

Their budget shrinks every year, and ultimately, the sponsor want the spring exposure more than anything else, where it's all Belgium/Flanders can talk about.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    grimpeur wrote:
    Compare to the first year of the Cervélo Test Team, they pulled in big results in the GT and classics with a fraction of the budget of Team Sky.

I bet Sky end their second year better than Cervelo did
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Wonder if Team Sky will ever get as many wins as Cervélo did in it's two years...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    grimpeur wrote:
    Wonder if Team Sky will ever get as many wins as Cervélo did in it's two years...

They should do it easily. They're only just behind them for the first season and Cervelo won very little this season (11 races - excluding national champs)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    I've defended Sky since the start but have to admit they have disappointed results wise. I do think they should concentrate on races outside the Tours and they have a squad capable of winning virtually any of the Classics but mnagement and tactics wise they seem to be a bit out of their depth. Leaders jerseys in the Tour of Qatar, Giro and Tour of Britain which they have done very bad jobs of protecting. If they really want to focus on the Grand Tours they really need a major squad overhaul and should be looking at getting Dan Martin on board. I think it has also shown that, whilst there may be some benefits in marginal gains on the road they are greatly outweighed by tactics and luck.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    grimpeur wrote:
    Wonder if Team Sky will ever get as many wins as Cervélo did in it's two years...

They should do it easily. They're only just behind them for the first season and Cervelo won very little this season (11 races - excluding national champs)

The number of victories only really matters to cycling geeks like us. The difference between Cervélo and Sky is that Cervélo were noticeably prominent in the biggest races (whether they won or not, according to Vroomen it's being noticed that matters). Not that it did Cervélo much good in the long run, mind.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Looks like Sky don't have a problem getting noticed.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Yes they've certainly done a good job with the PR. You just wonder how long they can go on with that without the results to back it up though. Talk of marginal gains or how Wiggo is going to challenge for the TdF will look pretty silly next Spring. They need to give their PR machine something to work with.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Sky signed some "big" names in Wiggins, Gerrans and Boessen Haagen. Wiggins has had a dreadful season as a team leader and bagged a tiny amount of Pro Tour points (5 or 6 more than Geraint Thomas I think). Gerrans' season has been a disaster due to injury/illness/crashes. EBH also missed out early season due to his injuries, but has come back strongly to be ranked in the top 15. Next season I can't see him finishing outside the top 5.

Sky also signed some young prospects and guys who'd previously not been given opportunities to show their talent. Unfortunately none of them have really done the business. Henderson has got some good results, but no-one really stands out. Next season the youngsters will be a year stronger, some of the weaker riders will be gone and hopefully they will have a couple of new additions who can bring in results. They will have also learnt a few lessons about tactics.
  • I think it's all just down to bad strategy so far. Putting all their eggs in one basket in the form of Wiggins at TDF was a big mistake but it seemed to take them far too long to realise and they were almost reluctant to give up on him and switch focus to Loftkvist/Thomas who had much better chances for the GC for the sake of not getting egg on their faces.

It looks like they've relaxed a lot since and on the days they've actually committed support to sprinters and aimed for stage wins they've done very well but they seem to completely fall apart the following day by trying to wing it and have no strategy at all which is frustrating. They've definitely got the quality in the squad to be doing better than they are and with plenty of lessons learned so far I think they'll do much better next year..