To the guy I shouted F***K OFF! at on the Mall this morning.

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
OK, so heading east along The Mall just by Marlborough Road. I've come out into the middle of the road to pass a young lady and there's some parked police cars up ahead so I decide to stay out in the middle of L2.

Guy on a nice road bike comes up on my right hand side and says something to me and then rides off.

My brain works out what he said, it was:

"Tuck in Man"

I.e. he was commenting on my road position, and that I was too far over.

So, I'm incensed and in the wind he probably hears me shouting "F***K OFF!" about 10 seconds later.

Then when turning off down Horse Guards Road I think "why would one cyclist say that to another"?

Then I think what he actually said was

"Top gear man!" (in reference to my rather smart road bike).

OK, so if you said the latter and heard my profanity:

Sorry sorry sorry sorry ! Seriously dude, I'll buy you some beers to say sorry.

If you said the former:

F***K OFF!

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Maybe he said "tuck in man", and he was offering you a tow. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • prj45
    Agent57 wrote:
    Maybe he said "tuck in man", and he was offering you a tow. :D

Heh, that is possible, I was going quite slowly at the time.
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    Do you have a bit of a tummy?

My first thought is that he was advising you to tuck in as you were passing this young lady?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    was your wang hanging out?
  • 'Tuck in man' is hardly worthy of that response is it ?

Save that for careless drivers, not other cyclists.

:)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Maybe print out the OP and pin it to the back of your jersey/bag. If you meet again, he'll see it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I woukd have thought it meant 'get on my back wheel and have some wind breaking'
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    t0pc4t wrote:
    I woukd have thought it meant 'get on my back wheel and have some wind breaking'

That would have been my assumption. Maybe some posters fixed to lamp posts?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    or he might have been offering to share some cake he had
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    In the event that i misheard the person I would likely have responded with "Pardon?"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Maybe he said "Too keen, Man", because you passed the young lady without being a Gentleman (cycling behind her for a bit, checking her out)
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Or maybe he said "Two Keema Naan" and he was ordering his lunchtime Indian on a Bluetooth Earpiece.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Fukcing van?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • A gentleman might have replied: 'I beg your pardon, I dont' believe I heard you correctly, wotwot?'
    a chav would have said: 'Mind yer business man, y'get me?'
    Or admittedly possibly, thinking about it, just; 'f@ck off'

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • prj45
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In the event that i misheard the person I would likely have responded with "Pardon?"

Well, 'cept that I didn't think I misheard it at first, and anyway by the time my brain had worked out what he may have said he was up the road, and by the time it worked out what else he might have said I'd turned off the Mall (if I go in via The Mall I normally turn off down Horse Guards Road to get that little extra bit of Embankment in from Parliament Square, plus Horse Guards Road is a LOVELY road to ride down).