What to wear for Winter biking

IDave
IDave Posts: 223
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi Folks,

I'm new to MTB, and I have enjoyed the relatively nice summer we have had, however it's starting to get colder now and shorts and T-Shirt are just not suitable attire any longer.

What do you guys wear when you are out on the trails in the winter?

(Some links to places to purchase would be nice too)

Many Thanks

Comments

• i was wearing trackies and a hoodie last year, probibally do the same. i look like a chav (im also 19) ill admit, but its cheaper than bike specific stuff, kept me warm and was bearable in the rain so long as i wasnt in the middle of an epic ride.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Shorts, hoody and a good dose of MTFU :P
  • Cheap Primark gear. They sometimes have "sports" stuff. While not as good as the proper MTB gear you can buy, it's cheap, warm and you can throw them away after the winter without much monetary loss. Hoodies are only a tenner or so.

However, if you're a fashion tart, then I'm too much of a skinflint for advice there :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • IDave
    Unfortunately there is no Primark in Edinburgh, nearest is Glasgow as far as I know. There are however loads of over priced LBS's!

I was hoping to do most of my shopping online.

Maybe I'd be better with some good Crudcatchers a hoody and some trackies from JD sports.

On the negative side, I was at Glentress today and I felt like a bit of an idiot wearing a hoody, as everyone else was all in their MTB gear and I looked like a ned who had just knicked a bike and taken it for a ride. :oops:
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I'll stick with shorts until it gets properly cold and will then through a set of Brooks running leggings underneath them

On top a long sleeve merino top and a windproof gillet are sufficient for all but the coldest windiest days.

I'd sweat like mad in a hoody
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    cheap sports shop usually have some good stuff,sports direct, decathlon,etc 3/4 shorts over some leggings if its proper cold, base layer,thin long sleeve top,light weight tracksuit top, that kept me going through last winter in freezing and snowy conditions, make sure you buy polyester stuff, not cotton, cotton soaks up moisture ,polyester allows it to pass through, and dries quicker.
    im with buckled rims with the cheap stuff, not fussed what i look like or what brand,so long as im comfortable.
    Bike specific stuff is a rip off in my opinion.
    this place is good to,
    http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Anything vaguely resembling a water proof jacket or wind break and I'll be far too hot every climb. I just let my legs get cold, it's fine if you keep the pace up, even in the snow in shorts!
  • neninja wrote:
    I'll stick with shorts until it gets properly cold and will then through a set of Brooks running leggings underneath them

On top a long sleeve merino top and a windproof gillet are sufficient for all but the coldest windiest days.

I'd sweat like mad in a hoody

ALDI is having their cycling day sale on Thursday, I nearly forgot about that. They've a marino top for £15, SPD shoes for £20, MTB shorts for £13, winter shirt for £9.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    endura humvee shots, jersey and long finger gloves
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    IDave wrote:
    Layers
    IDave wrote:
    TK Maxx
  • [/quote]ALDI is having their cycling day sale on Thursday, I nearly forgot about that. They've a marino top for £15, SPD shoes for £20, MTB shorts for £13, winter shirt for £9.[/quote]

I did not even know ALDI had a sports section
    "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"

Fuji Nevada 1.0
  • .blitz wrote:
    IDave wrote:
    Layers
    IDave wrote:
    TK Maxx

Very this, for the epic, undisputed win!

I've got some 3/4 bib tights that get worn under baggy shorts and either a short or long sleeve base layer with regular baggy trail type top over that, and if it's raiing something waterproof. Everything apart from the bib tights came from TK maxx.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've got some 3/4 bib tights that get worn under baggy shorts and either a short or long sleeve base layer with regular baggy trail type top over that, and if it's raiing something waterproof. Everything apart from the bib tights came from TK maxx.
    IDave: This will see you through Winter no probs. Trousers/full length tights are strictly forbidden at all times.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Top half of the body - Base layer (got a cheap merino tshirt that does the job) and a thick cycling jersey and MAYBE a gillet over the top. If it's pouring with rain I'll throw on a waterproof too.

Bottom half - Shorts unless it's properly cold (i.e. below zero).

To be honest though, for most of the time, if it's dry then the only time cold really gets you is while you warm up and when you're stationary. I find inevitably that after about 20 mins of a ride I've got my jersey unzipped to let some air in to cool me down. Basically keep the rain off you and work hard and your body will do the rest.

That said, I do recommend riding with your camelbak tube down your jersey front in seriously cold weather otherwise the water in it freezes. Bottles freeze too but you can't put them down your top. We had a case of dehydration on one winter ride because the guys bottles froze and we didn't realise how much trouble he was in until the lunch stop.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    As above, layers 8)
    +1 for the Aldi/Lidl gear, it's really good value
  • neninja wrote:
    ALDI is having their cycling day sale on Thursday, I nearly forgot about that. They've a marino top for £15, SPD shoes for £20, MTB shorts for £13, winter shirt for £9.

Just started out in the weird & wonderful world of MTB, strapped for cash & this gem of a post pops up... Cheers Aldi here we come...
    Ssssh! Be Quiet... :p
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Get there quick unless you're a XXXXL, it usually sells out fast!
    Don't worry if it does, Aldi and Lidl's do have the stuff in quite regularly, sign up for the newsletters then you''ll be notified when it's in :wink:
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I think I must be a complete wimp... :oops:

I do ride when it's properly cold, but I also wrap up well. Just ordered some DHB winter gloves from Wiggle actually.

My feet are the worst, last winter I discovered overshoes, they are the nuts!

A proper base layer is key, make sure you get something that shifts sweat, regular t-shirts will just get soaked (especially if worn under a waterproof) and then freeze your back.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I went crazy at aldi today and bought my wife and I a full outfit. Spent quite a lot but got a LOT of stuff for what i spent :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Long sleeve nike compression top (only because I have one) and thick Aldi cycling jersey. Even at it's coldest point I never needed more than that.

Long Aldi cycling trousers with baggies over the top - don't want to look like a roadie!

Sealskinz socks - does away with that horrid feeling of ice cold water sloshing between the toes.
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • IDave
    Thanks for all the replies folks.

Looks like a trip to TK Maxx is on the cards for this weekend.

Where is a good place to get some decent cycling shorts to wear underneath?

Also what kind of waterproof are we talking about? Just like an anorak from an outdoor shop?
  • Primark is a great place to buy cheap riding gear for the winter. Or even if you just want some rough clothes to relax in, there are hoodies ain't half bad for 6 quid. I imagine you'd get some reasonable gloves from there too.

Liam
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I wear lots of expensive Endura & Gore items.

Clearly you lot are not true cyclists.
  • Sealskinz mankini.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I got a winter cycling jacket from Aldi but the rest of the stuff was either only in midget sizes or crap. Honestly, riding in the cold doesn't bother me at all, it usually means the trails are frozen which is far better than 3 inches of mud everywhere.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    IDave wrote:
    Where is a good place to get some decent cycling shorts to wear underneath?

Also what kind of waterproof are we talking about? Just like an anorak from an outdoor shop?

Check out the web sites, Wiggle & Chain Reaction Cycles are good and have regular sales. I think Wiggle have a good priced DHB bib short (the advantage of the bib short is that it will keep your back covered up when you are bent forward).

Waterproof - I'd go for cycling specific if I was you for the longer cut at the back, wel placed pockets and a breathable material preferably, otherwise you will just sweat your @rse off. You can pay a fortune, but I wouldn't go mad.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Where do you ride regularly? How long do you intend to be out for? Do you do day or night rides? Will you be going out even if its pissing down,blowing a gale or freezing? When you ride and have a bad mechanical how far from warmth/safety will you be? DO you ride alone?

You need to take the above factors into account when choosing the items of clothes that will keep you safe and warm. If you plan to ride trail centres in the daytime and when the weather is not too bad then you need a different type of wardrobe to someone who night rides all year round whatever the weather or who goes out riding alone.

I would suggest buying the best you can afford. I started out with cheap stuff and now tend to go for gore- its pricey but does what it says it will, is durable,hardwearing and fits me well. Most importantly it has never failed to keep me warm and dry

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • I have one of the Aldi jackets, worn during the cold/wet weather last winter, I think I would have been drier without it, no water peneratrated but none got out either (v sweaty and smelly). Their cycling jerseys etc with the Drymax are fine but it's worth paying a few quid extra for padded bib shorts/longs for comfort.
  • i bought a pair of cycling tights to go under my baggies and over my shorts, some thermal gloves and some sealskinz socks.

point to remember is to keep your torso warm, the rest will take care of itself then.

same as walking, some layers. something wicking on the bottom layer, and loose, breathing layers on top. nothing worse than sweating then getting cold from that.

i'd advise finding your nearest 'go outdoors' or using them online. good outdoor stuff at usually a fraction of the price - think it's all end of line stuff. saved loads using them, no more than buying a normal tshirt.
  • point to remember is to keep your torso warm, the rest will take care of itself then.

Eh? I'm the opposite, keep hands and feet warm. Torso will be fine so long as I keep moving.