2 more stupid questions mech hanger & axles

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
1. Do you need a special hub for the 20mm trough axle that come on some forks or can a normal quick release be altered or adapted to fit?

2. I've been advised to get a spare mech hanger but can't seem to find how to identify it or where to get it from. I have a 2010 Trek 6000.

I have looked honest, my internet skills have failed me. The Trek website is a bit bewildering when you are trying to find parts numbers, they don't seem to have specific bike manuals. Maybe I'm just being a bit shit.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1, yes and some can be.
    2 any trek dealer or try Betd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You could get a spare mech hanger, but then what are you really likely to carry it round all the time? Still, should you want one, trek's mech hangers have been the same since the dawn of time (or thereabouts) as far as I am aware.

A quick google for 'Trek Gear Hanger 230026' should see you right. Expect to pay around a tenner.... if you really want one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thank you for the painless and informative replies.

Re forks: I think I'll just give my money to someone who knows more about this stuff than me and send them off to buy them.

Not entirely sure why I'd want to carry the mech manger around with me either, was just advised to do so, I'd have thought the derailleur itself would be more likely to get damaged.
  • i think the idea is that should to have an accident it's the £10 hanger that breaks and not a £40-£100 rear derailleur. though the last time i crashed i managed to break both.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The idea is that the hanger breaks, instead of the frame. Aluminium can't really be bent back into shape without severely compromising it's strength, so the mech hanger bit is made replaceable.

The reason some people recommend having a spare is because some of them can be quite tricky to find, or identify, so if you get one whilst everything is fine with the bike, it can save you days of trying to source one when the bike is un-rideable.
  • As I have recently found. :D